• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 22, 2024, 05:17:27 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

FG at 1.025

Started by hassettbrew, August 16, 2015, 12:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorcerers Apprentice

Quote from: molc on August 17, 2015, 08:39:01 AM
Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on August 16, 2015, 10:49:39 PM
One other thing that springs to mind is a Forced Fermentation Test, take a sample after pitching and keep it warm ~ 30c on a stir plate this should show in about 24 hours your potential final gravity, if this is high then it's a brewing issue if it's low then you have a fermentation issue
This sounds like a great thing to try that will at least rule out your brewing technique vs fermentation technique.
There are lots of sites giving advice on Forced Fermentation Testing eg
http://www.hungusbrews.com/2015/02/20/how-to-perform-a-forced-ferment-test/
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

hassettbrew

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on August 16, 2015, 10:49:39 PM
One other thing that springs to mind is a Forced Fermentation Test, take a sample after pitching and keep it warm ~ 30c on a stir plate this should show in about 24 hours your potential final gravity, if this is high then it's a brewing issue if it's low then you have a fermentation issue
I will deff try this, thank you

Jay Dee

Hi,
I know you said you calibrated your hydrometer but by any chance, have you been using a refractometer for checking your FG?
Just a random thought but that would explain the readings (Assuming the beer tasted "as expected/planned").

Good luck with the investigation!

brenmurph

@jay dee..that would explain a lot

@ hassetbrew, if u are using a refractor without doing a recalc on beersmith tools then ur beers are prob about 1010fg also beer at 1025 would taste quite sweet

hassettbrew

@jay dee     :-[ yes that does indeed explain a lot ... live and learn eh

Jay Dee

Glad that helped.
I'd say it happens to a lot of people when they switch to the refractometer.
Good luck with future brews.

Simon_

I made the same mistake in the past but my assumption was different. I had a hyrometer as well to get a more believable reading so just assumed my cheapo Chinese refractometer was rubbish.

Great things refractometers once you know what their limitations are, even ones off Aliexpress

Jay Dee

I'd say the chinese manufacturing gets blamed for many a dodgey brew! ;)

Here's a very handy calculator for refractometer FG conversion:
http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/refractometer-fg-results/

hassettbrew

@ Jee Dee thanks for that, its a great site too, brew on........

Leann ull

Sean Terrills calc is by far the best and he performed a great experiment getting better actual results than Homebrewers using standard hydrometers, beersmith and others are good too.