• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:03:39 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Group Events

Started by Beerdoh, March 14, 2013, 02:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beerdoh

There seem to be loads of events on around the country at different times.

How do people feel about trying to get to some of these about once a month or once every 2 months (permitting there's something on) as a sort of group event type thing?

Thing's i'm thinking of are - attending national events as a club, brewery tours, arranging sit down tastings in particular bars around the country - things like this. We can schedule these based on the NHC calendar too.

We could maybe also arrange a cross-border / group meet with some of the other NHC regional groups and combine tastings / meetings?

I know in reality these are difficult to arrange and remain consistent, but if we get it moving, then I feel it will be a bit of a snowball effect and we could keep it going.

Feedback / comments?
To brew: Bohemian Lager, Munich Dunkel, Oatmeal / Milk Stout, Hefeweizen
Fermenting: Imperial IPA
Conditioning:
Serving:Munich Helles (Helles Bells), Oatmeal Stout

newToBrew

I like the idea -  would  it  be on our Club Meet day - that we would do it ? or as a replacement for that meeting  just on a different date ??
I'm not saying it should be but....
I already find it difficult to attend each monthly meeting as do some of the other guys - so I would be unsure If I could commit to two "brewing events" in a monthly cycle
am I making sense here ? ( my head is a little gone south today for some reason )

I guess what I mean is: If we had a 2club tour around a brewery in the 2nd Saturday of the month - I would probably not be able to make the club meeting on the third

coz theres always something new to do

Beerdoh

QuoteI like the idea -  would  it  be on our Club Meet day - that we would do it ? or as a replacement for that meeting  just on a different date ??
I'm not saying it should be but....
I already find it difficult to attend each monthly meeting as do some of the other guys - so I would be unsure If I could commit to two "brewing events" in a monthly cycle
am I making sense here ? ( my head is a little gone south today for some reason )

I guess what I mean is: If we had a 2club tour around a brewery in the 2nd Saturday of the month - I would probably not be able to make the club meeting on the third

No, that makes perfect sense - I guess this is where we need to have the discussion and see what the overall opinion is on something like this. It will be difficult to do two brewing events in one month - so it probably is a good idea to limit it to one thing a month. Maybe on the month where a tour or something is organised we can arrange a tasting of homebrew as well, so we can combine the two for that month.
It's all up for debate. The only real way this will work is if we all get together and push it on!
Conditioning:

Greg2013

Getting people transported seems to be a real issue so maybe we should look into that first? Logistically speaking if we cant make it to the monthly meetings then we are not going to make it to the special school tours ;)

I think maybe first and foremost we need to gauge how difficult it is for people to attend monthly meets as ther is little point in organising brewery tours if only two are going to turn up.

Other than that i think its a great idea, i would like to see a bit more activity from the south east section, on the site and off.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Beerdoh

I agree that logistics are important, but if we schedule the event well in advance and ensure that everyone in the club is notified, then it's less likely that only two people will show up.

Not only that, with something like a brewery tour for instance, we'd need to have numbers tied down to tell the brewery how many are showing up and when we're going to be there.
I guess the thing is about Revolution meets, is that they're regular so people can afford to miss them - if we're organising a group event, it's more of a once off (well, at least to the place we're going) and hopefully people won't pull out.
Conditioning:

Greg2013

True beerdoh i agree and i think its a great idea. I know i have not been to a meet yet but i am isolated and lacking in transport and tbh.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Tucan

Ya transport is a bitch my nearest bus stop is 12 miles away in  Newross  but its only 14 miles to Waterford using the ferry. Not much of a choice.

Greg2013

I don't know any of the members of our gang but is Rev the best location central to all?

newToBrew

pretty much - we have spoken bout alternating between Waterford and Wexford given the amont comin in form there - but  lik eeverything has coma about yet

we have guys coin in from yur end deadman - wexford - kilkenny  so Revs(waterford city) seems to be kinda in the middle ?

newToBrew

oh and few locals too !!

anyway - the trips and demos sound good - I like the idea of advance plannign and set dates

Greg2013

He didn't just imply i was from Kilkenny did he? :o

loftybush

March 15, 2013, 08:12:41 AM #11 Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:14:03 AM by loftybush
On a similar note, any murmurings of a club forming in Limerick / Tipp / Clare?

Edit: Eek sorry, only realised this was in the South Eastern section after posting, sorry guys.

Beerdoh

QuoteHe didn't just imply i was from Kilkenny did he? :o

Haha - nah, i'm living in Kilkenny! I get the train down to Rev for the meets! :P

On the issue of group events - let's put our heads together... Any nominations as to where we'd like to go first?
Realistically, it will be sometime in May?
Conditioning:

newToBrew

misse dthese posts for some reason - nah deadman don't think ya have the pedigree to be a cat  ;D ;D

may sounds good for a school tour !!! in general if we have things planned in advance like that - I can set the date aside - prob applies across teh board

Beerdoh

Yep, sounds good. I know a bloke who works for O'Hara's - i'll try get in touch with him to see if he can schedule a tour for us, or can put us in touch with someone who can. Carlow Brewing Company anyone?
Conditioning: