• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 04, 2024, 09:57:48 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Pre-Competition Tasting in "The Dark Horse, Blackrock" - Wednesday 2nd December

Started by Bubbles, November 09, 2015, 02:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

Attach an open bottle to a string on a stick and the donkey will pull the cart ;)

Bubbles

Quote from: CH on November 25, 2015, 07:08:15 PM
Any Jaipur ;)

Any amount of it! And Kipling, Wild Raven too.

They've got the Siren Calypso on tap at the moment. Berliner weiss dry-hopped with Galaxy. Amazing stuff, hopefully there will be some left by the 2nd..

Shanna

Hi Conor,

Any requirements on the bottles being delabelled or anything else? Would be great if we could get the beer collected & stored in the fridge in the Dark horse fridge in advance. Would be willing to help collect bottles from people if there was interest in it & there was no objection from you?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bubbles

No requirements on labels, as long as the label doesn't identify the brewer. I think this is the most sensible option.

I'm not sure about delivering bottles in advance. I've no problem asking the guv'nor and I'm sure he'd oblige, but I'm not sure there'd a lot interest in dropping off in advance, looking at the signups we have already. I'll ask however, and post back when I get confirmation. That do?

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on November 25, 2015, 08:29:39 PM
No requirements on labels, as long as the label doesn't identify the brewer. I think this is the most sensible option.

I'm not sure about delivering bottles in advance. I've no problem asking the guv'nor and I'm sure he'd oblige, but I'm not sure there'd a lot interest in dropping off in advance, looking at the signups we have already. I'll ask however, and post back when I get confirmation. That do?
Sounds good, numbers involved are modest anyway. I would offer to collect them so there would be only be a single drop off required.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

molc

Rember you need to be able to associate a beer with a person to give them their score after as well. I'd say label each bottle with:
Entry No:
Category: American IPA
Sub Category: 21A

Keep a list of the numbers so you can tell people after.

Now instead, if you pickup on the night, you can assign those numbers as you get the beer and put it on a label on the bottle.

Almost like running a full mini comp here at this point :) we should have registered with bjcp and gotten judging points too :D

On the night, how about the judges work though the beer and then hand the leftover bottle and scoresheet down to the table and ye can have a chat etc while we beaver away at the pile ;)

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

Quote from: molc on November 26, 2015, 08:17:04 AM
Rember you need to be able to associate a beer with a person to give them their score after as well. I'd say label each bottle with:
Entry No:
Category: American IPA
Sub Category: 21A

Keep a list of the numbers so you can tell people after.

Now instead, if you pickup on the night, you can assign those numbers as you get the beer and put it on a label on the bottle.

Almost like running a full mini comp here at this point :) we should have registered with bjcp and gotten judging points too :D

On the night, how about the judges work though the beer and then hand the leftover bottle and scoresheet down to the table and ye can have a chat etc while we beaver away at the pile ;)

Don't worry dude, I'll be keeping track of things! ;)

I'm trying to keep this as informal as possible. However, your suggestion has reminded me that if people are going to drop beers off in advance at the DH, they'll need to be clearly marked with a removable label.

I think it's a great idea to hand the beer back to the brewer at the end of judging for a bit of discussion/retribution. ;)

Bubbles

Quote from: Bubbles on November 25, 2015, 08:29:39 PM

Colm in the DH says no problem if you want to drop bottles off in advance. Just make sure the labels include your name and the beer style and that they are removable. Ta.

craiclad

Ahhh... I came home tonight to find that my siblings have polished off the last of my hefeweizen. This sort of thing makes you want to put a lock on the keezer.

Would it be bad form to bring a "problem" beer to get feedback on? I feel like it would be taking advantage of the whole Pre Competition Purpose of this thing, but I'd love to see a score sheet for some of the beers I'm critical of.

Bubbles

Quote from: craiclad on November 26, 2015, 12:15:37 PM
Would it be bad form to bring a "problem" beer to get feedback on? I feel like it would be taking advantage of the whole Pre Competition Purpose of this thing, but I'd love to see a score sheet for some of the beers I'm critical of.

No bother man. I'm sure any of the judges will be willing to give you an opinion on it.

Not taking advantage at all - the idea is that you're getting early feedback from the NHC's trained palates so that you can rebrew it for the competition.

However, if it's seriously flawed (big solvent, infection) then you might let me know and I'll leave it till last, or look for a judge who's willing! :)

molc

If it's solvent or infection, we can do that informally as well, as major flaws are much quicker to call :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

Certainly not dude! Just stick your name down, but don't mention the style of beer you're bringing.

bachus

1. Bubbles - 3 entries
2. Pob - 2 entries
3. Molc - 1 entry ( if someone else judges it, otherwise, we're just drinking it :D)
4. Shanna - 3 entries
5. Craiclad - 2 entries
6. Lurchalicious - 1 entry;  hopefully I can bottle it well.
7. David - 2 entries
8. bachus - 2 entries
Dominik (bachus)

Leann ull

I'm bringing something but i'll be ucked if yer going to judge it maybe I should save it ;)