• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 22, 2024, 09:46:53 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Homebrew Stout excessive gushing with moderate to low carbonation added

Started by Deemon147, December 21, 2015, 12:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deemon147

really interesting? I was thinking was it the coconuts could be an issue-  I carved the coconut meat out myself and roasted so they were natural and not carvings from a bag. Maybe the oils from them have an effect?

Primary 2 weeks, secondary in bottles has been 6 weeks.
OG: 1.052
FG:  1.010

Sorcerers Apprentice

Oils would suppress head height. If there are hard particles of coconut in the beer they may form nucleonic points (this can cause the gas to break out of solution, similar to if you put a grain of rice or a couple of grains of sugar in beer) which could also be a factor.
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Deemon147

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on December 22, 2015, 09:36:49 AM
Oils would suppress head height. If there are hard particles of coconut in the beer they may form nucleonic points (this can cause the gas to break out of solution, similar to if you put a grain of rice or a couple of grains of sugar in beer) which could also be a factor.

Interesting, I'm learning every day :D . Ill check closer for particles when i test the vented ones to verify it!

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

helmet

Sorcerers Apprentice

I would have thought that the beer at ph 4 would have neutralised any Oxi cleaner?
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Shanna

Does the beer left over in the bottle have much Co2 left in it? If you pour the beer in to a glass does it go flat or stay carbed?  I had a stout that I bottled previously that gushed like crazy & it was down to bottles that were infected with a wild yeast. I had cleaned them with chemical cleaners but some still had a small amount of crud in them. I eventually ended up chucking the bottles & now individually clean my bottles with hot water & oxy.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Leann ull

Shanna

Quote from: CH on December 23, 2015, 05:10:59 PM
And not in the dishwasher which is less than useless
Guilty as charged on that approach also ;-)

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Leann ull

I have done loads of stuff which has been BS brewing and made some shit beer, Smithwicks comp was the last one and went into it half heartedly and rushed, what did I expect!, happy to take solace in the porter I did after it.
Others have taught me well, just here to share and learn... 

Deemon147

All,

Thanks for the replies and interest.

Over the Christmas I sampled many of these and I was quite surprised with the outcome as they all tasted great. Gushing was still a big issue though even after  venting 3-4 times. I found getting the bottles to 2/3 degrees slowed it down a lot.

@ Sorcerers Apprentice - there was in fact a good amount of particles visible in the beer and the beer itself was left with sufficient carbonation after the gushing subsided. Although I cannot confirm how much of particles could have been yeast residue, I was fairly sure I minimised particles using muslin bags for the coconut.

Have given one of the bottles to an established brewer to get his opinion also.....(warning label included!)

Deemon147

For anyone who is interested, brewer came back to me and all positive on the beer apart from the gushing of course.

He said definitely that the overflow is down to nucleation from the coconut particles and in next batch to try filter more of these out. Who would have known that coconut was bad for your head!

Science rocks!..... O0

BrewDorg

Good stuff. Did he give you any ideas on how to filter the particles better?