• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 22, 2024, 06:20:43 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Homebrew Stout excessive gushing with moderate to low carbonation added

Started by Deemon147, December 21, 2015, 12:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorcerers Apprentice

Alternatively you could use a cheap cone/funnel and coffee filter paper
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

BrewDorg

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on January 08, 2016, 01:08:14 PM
Alternatively you could use a cheap cone/funnel and coffee filter paper

For bottling? Would that not filter out the yeast before it carbonates? Could also see it oxidising the hell out of the beer.

I use gelatin for clarifying and it's excellent. It's very cheap too so could be worth a go.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: BrewDorg on January 08, 2016, 02:59:35 PM

I use gelatin for clarifying and it's excellent. It's very cheap too so could be worth a go.

Brewdorg where are you getting cheap gelatin as a matter of interest?

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Sorcerers Apprentice

If you are bottle conditioning then the yeast will mop up any dissolved O2, as you suggest fining should catch most of the particles, if you were worried about yeast being filtered you could always add a little from the fermenter to the bottling bucket after filtration.

DEMPSEY

Mild filtering will not remove all the yeast so you will still have plenty to bottle condition and any oxygen will be eaten by the yeast in the bottle conditioning. 

DEMPSEY

Sorcerers Apprentice

Great minds and all that Brian!!
Anyone considering bottling beer to be stored for a long time, should consider adding a little gypsum to the mash liquor it binds to the calcium oxylate and removes it in the kettle during the Boil.  Left to its own devices the calcium oxylate can form crystals in the beer over time, which causes gushing issues

BrewDorg

Quote from: cruiscinlan on January 08, 2016, 05:01:22 PM
Quote from: BrewDorg on January 08, 2016, 02:59:35 PM

Brewdorg where are you getting cheap gelatin as a matter of interest?

Just looking at it now, it's not crazy cheap. Got it from The Homebrew Company. Around a 5er for 100g which will last me ages, so worth the 5er.

Just wondering lads, if the yeast is going to eat up all the oxygen during conditioning, why are people usually so anal about preventing the introduction of oxygen after fermentation? Genuinely curious as this goes against anything I've heard before. Also, would you really call a coffee filter 'mild filtering'?

Sorcerers Apprentice

Coffee filters are rated around 10-20 micron and generally yeast cells are around 2-3 micron
Regarding dissolved oxygen post fermentation, bottle/cask conditioning mops this up but force carbonating eg corny Kegging doesn't and beer will deteriorate quicker

molc

Also oxygen will stale the beer quickly and give that cardboard taste if there is too much introduced during bottling.

The yeast will eat up most of it during its lag phase, so when you bottle with sugar or when your begin fermentation and the yeast builds up reserves in the cells.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter