• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:32:23 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Westvleteren 12, is it really the best beer in the world?

Started by thechevron, July 13, 2016, 10:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechevron

I've been offered a bottle for 12 euro and I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed.

Who here has had it?

What are your experiences?

Leann ull

It's not the best beer in the world but is up there imho, spend the €12 and write us a review

irish_goat

When was it brewed? I bought a six pack (with 2 glasses) in 2012. Have had one at Christmas the past 3 years and whilst I thought it's been good the whole time it's only really wowed me since last Christmas. I'd not pay €12 for one though.

Andy Q

I've paid €10 in Belgium & €15 in Spain, I'd say It's well worth the €12 just to say you've had one, It's a good beer, but it's not going to be life changing.
Buy a Bottle of St Bernardus 12 as well, and put that in the review, see if one is worth 3 times the other, have never has them both in the one sitting

Stout/Apa fiend from Lucan

Qs

They were 6 for €50 a couple of years ago when they had that big release. Is it the best beer in the world? Honestly I prefer Rochefort 10 but for €12 I'd still go for it. Worth it just to say you've had one. Its certainly not a disappointing beer.

delzep

Check the date printed on the bottle cap. The date printed is exactly 3 years past the bottling date. The beer is definitely better when past this date in my opinion

redshift

It's worth spending €12 as a one off, it is a spectacular beer even if not the best. I don't think the St Bernardus is quite as good though I agree with Qs, Rochefort 10 is at least as good. Likewise the oak aged La Trappe.
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink...

thechevron

The guy who is selling it to me is a work colleague. He reckons Rochfort 10 is nicer, and it seems to be a lot cheaper too.

Im going to get a bottle of that and see how good it is compared to that.

thechevron

nigel_c

Is that not the best before date?
Probably the same batch most of us had.

Motorbikeman

Where does one get a fine beer like this in Ireland. 

delzep

delzep

Quote from: nigel_c on July 19, 2016, 01:57:47 PM
Is that not the best before date?
Probably the same batch most of us had.

The ones most people had were probably from the brick which had painted bottles

johnrm

I had a brick - bottle were as the pic above.
All gone now, they got better and better.

delzep

I have some 7 year old bottles stashed away of the 8 and the 12  O0