• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:30:51 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brew for christmas

Started by Laughgov, August 20, 2016, 08:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosmucman

I've a baltic porter and a farmhouse sour that I hope will be ready in time.
I'm planning on having a Golden Belgian Strong and a Belgian Dark Strong before then,weather they'll be ready before christmas remains to be seen!

Ciaran

Quote from: Laughgov on August 29, 2016, 09:23:14 PM
Brewdog psycho imperial stout in the fermenter. Lets hope that all is ready Chrimbo

So......tried mine last week there after 4 weeks in the bottle.  It's got a fair bit of oak/whisky character from the barrel chips.  I'm not getting as much cocoa as I'd hoped but maybe it will come through a little more as it rounds out with ageing.  Can't see there being much of it left after christmas but might have to keep a bottle or 2 back for the nationals.  Time will tell how good my process is when it comes to oxidation.

How's yours coming along? Did you change the recipe much?

Laughgov

I cant taste the whiskey chip but the chocolate and coffee is insane. Loving it though. You can only have one or two tops
Lovely chrimbo one

Happy Christmas all

Ciaran

Just to report back, this brew picked up the bronze in the Export Stout/Imperial Stout category at the 2017 comp.   I think mine could definitely go a bit further with more intense cocoa and coffee flavours so I'd suggest either upping the recommended amounts or sticking to the recipe a bit more rigidly than I did with the coffee and cacao.  For the record I used pure cacao powder from the health shop instead of nibs both times, and for the coffee I didn't add the second dose of coffee in secondary.  In retrospect I probably would do so next time.  Might help someone out if they've any plans to try a clone of cocoa psycho themselves.