• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:11:36 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast for 2016 Apple Juice

Started by phynes1, November 01, 2016, 01:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

I'm clearly hungover as can't see any ref to pitch temp in that article?
I don't think he does either tbh but will advise

mr hoppy

Haha, when I saw your comment I thought there's another possible explanation for that, but I checked and I wasn't imagining it. It's the third para below the "The process" header:

QuoteOnce the juice is pressed and pumped into the IBC fermenters a cold acting cider yeast is pitched. Davy has no heating in his facility and is therefore at the mercy of the elements. Unlike beer however this is to the good as cider has traditionally been fermented at barn temperatures and when space is at a premium its usually left outside.

Leann ull

Ha ha I will ask but suspect it's a champagne variant.
I know Con uses nothing as he was tell me a few years back he left an ibc out the back one year with a load of mixed surplus juice forgot all about and it turned into an amazing cider 12 months later, never to be repeated.

Qs

If you use something very attenuative like champagne yeast on the dry juice is it likely to turn out too dry?

And are the dry cider yeasts any use from Fermentis and Mangrove Jack?

Leann ull

Tried loads and best one so far is gervin but trying Mj this year

molc

Thinking of using s04 and Notts together this year in mine. Best cider I did was a pack of s04, then us05 2 weeks later to finish it off.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

irish_goat

Quote from: molc on November 08, 2016, 08:37:48 AM
Thinking of using s04 and Notts together this year in mine. Best cider I did was a pack of s04, then us05 2 weeks later to finish it off.

Were you looking for a dry cider or was it just too sweet before adding the us05?

molc

Quote from: irish_goat on November 08, 2016, 09:12:14 AM
Quote from: molc on November 08, 2016, 08:37:48 AM

Were you looking for a dry cider or was it just too sweet before adding the us05?
Both. After 4 weeks, it was 1.020 but I had already transferred into a keg before checking. Sprinkled on us05, ignored for a few months and had wonderful dry cider when I came back.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Qs

1 or 2 packs of dried yeast? Putting in an order for stuff now so want to be ready for when the juice comes.

Leann ull

Need to be careful using beer yeasts in cider they are not good bedfellows, on the liquids I had it was recommended I do starters which were 50:50 dme and AJ

Qs

Will grab some cider yeast so. Was considering notty but might just get the cider stuff instead. First time with cider and I've only barrel so don't want to get too experimental this year.

Leann ull

Couple of the lads used notty, just a bit more work with liquids, probably worth having a go with is you had some Demi's

Qs

I don't want to split it really as I don't want to have to bottle it.

mr hoppy

Going to let the dry do it's thing, same as the last two years and I'm going to try K1-V1116 in the balanced.