• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:35:10 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

AJ GB 2016

Started by Will_D, November 14, 2016, 10:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

November 14, 2016, 10:23:54 PM Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:19:20 AM by Will_D
[Update 15/11/16]
[Update 16/11/16]
[Update 17/11/16 - second batch stats]
[Update 18/11/16 - second batch blend info]

So as not to keep updating the GB/problems/Wish list threads:

The Mix we got from Davy is:
30% Dabinette, 30% Michelin, Balance is  Laxton , Golden Delicious , Jonagold and Falstaff.
It has a wonderful flavour, hint of tannin but may be a bit low on acidity - time will tell

My analysis:

1.050 (Hydrometer)
1.046 ( Refractometer)

ph 3.5 so its 2 campdens per gallon if you want to.

So this morning (15/11/16) all the juices were just starting to show signs of fermentation in the drums.

So far I have two fermenters going (both are outside):

#1: A 23 Litre keeve in glass (No CTs, just added the PME), 36 hours later awill dd the Calcium Chloride and hope! [update]   So CaCl2 added this morning, gentle natural fermentation. looking good.

#2: 45 litres with 10 CTs (ok 1/2 the amount) with nutrients and wine yeast.

The 3 more batches with No yeast(No CTs), S-05(plus CTs), and Notty(plus CTs).

All are outside.

All now bubbling slowly!

Ok, Second batch stats:

Og: 1.0050 (H), 1.050 (R)
pH 3.7

So its 3 CTs per gallon - say 16 to each drum.

Variety's Used:
Dabinett 60% Tipperary Pippin 20% and Elstar 20%

Tasting Notes:

Very sweet and full bodied, Very Low acidity (as pH says), Low to no tannins.

Not sure of apple mix yet but will update OP!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Jonnycheech

Hi Will,

Cheers for the info. What's PME? Pasteurised Malt Extract?

I have 25L that I'm going to let go au natural this year, my first time for wild cider yeast. Any tips? I have it sitting in a fridge at 20C. It hasn't really kicked off yet, will there be a krausen? How long should I leave it on the yeast (lees?) before transferring to another vessel. Some have said months, others have said treat it like beer yeast.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

molc

I have 5L going au natural and the rest is dosed with Campden, ready for a pitch of notty tonight. There was a tiny bit of airlock activity from the natural this morning.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Simon_

Quote from: Johnnycheech on November 15, 2016, 07:29:31 AM
I have it sitting in a fridge at 20C.
Outside temps seem to be just fine given long enough. Somebody posted a video of a 2L bottle actively fermenting in their kitchen fridge last year.
My container was very swollen when I got it last year. I just needed to let off some pressure every day until it stopped happening. I left mine outside.
If it isn't fermenting so furiously this year then just letting it do its own thing might not work out so well.

Leann ull

Apart from last 48 hours it's been cold and Juice came out of cold storage 
Last year it was warm like today
It's forecast to get cold again tomorrow thank god!

rje66

Is the notty, the notty beer yeast???
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie

Lochlannach

Should I add campden only tonight with the yeast & nutrient going in tomorrow night - otherwise the campden will kill off both the natural and added yeast?

I think that's the order I did it last year.

mr hoppy

Quote from: Will_D on November 14, 2016, 10:23:54 PM
[Update 15/11/16]
It has a wonderful flavour, hint of tannin but may be a bit low on acidity - time will tell

My analysis:

1.050 (Hydrometer)
1.046 ( Refractometer)

ph 3.5 so its 2 campdens per gallon if you want to.

I liked the taste of the juice. My memory might be playing tricks on me but it seemed different to Con's ones (which I also liked a lot).

I checked with refractometer and ph meter (yay new toy!) and got 1.044 and 3.48 so fairly much in line with you. Just wondering if you had any thoughts on why the hydrometer is higher? I assume it's more reliable given that it's based on a larger volume of juice?

Will be sticking with cultured yeast on the balanced, based on what CH said Davy does, and glad of it after the decanting!

molc

November 15, 2016, 08:58:40 PM #8 Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:45:42 PM by molc
Quote from: rje66 on November 15, 2016, 08:14:44 PM
Is the notty, the notty beer yeast???
Sssh, it'll be fine. So Nigel says :) Too late now anyway! :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Will_D

In some cider/yeast trials a couple of years ago Nottingham Ale yeast was voted as one of the best yeasts to use.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Leann ull

don't remember that one?, http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/cider#experiments

Damo did one using Pilsner yeast and it was uber clean and lovely

Shanna

Pitched 2 packs of dried yeast last night in 46 litres after dosing it with 24 Camden tablets. Waiting on some additional yeast to up the cell count as I have only 2 packs for the other juice from Tipperary. Wasn't counting on 20 litres being 23 or accounting for their being extra juice :) Going to be loads of cider next year so fingers crossed it goes well.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

BrewDorg

Just pitched a packet of Belle Saison at lunch. For my 1 drum my process was: Yesterday 1pm add 8 crushed campdens, midnight add 2 tsp pectolase, today 1pm add 3 tsp yeast nutrient along with 1 packet Belle Saison. Hopefully it turns into something tasty in the coming year..

Leann ull

Just started to Keeve
http://cidersupply.com/Wild-Horton%20Keeving%20Page.html
Lets see how this works out, never done it before and I am dubious as it looks tricky

aweisse

ive a half drum of apple juice outside that started fermenting by itself, will i leave it off on its own or can i add more AP to it and than add some campden tablets and go from there ?