• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:07:53 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

AJ GB 2016

Started by Will_D, November 14, 2016, 10:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

Cripes
Do you have another bucket and leave that behind
What does it tastes like underneath?

Jonnycheech

I had an infection with my batch too. I didn't let it get that far though, moved it corny and cold crashed a couple of weeks ago.

The weird thing is that the infection only formed in the 20L drum, whereas the 5L that was siphoned into a demi was fine. Strange considering it was all the same batch coming from the same place. Maybe the infection was present in the drum? 

I'm thinking of testing it and if it's sour/vinegary moving it onto some sort of sweet fruit and hoping for the best.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Keg

Quote from: CH on February 11, 2017, 07:29:39 PM
Cripes
Do you have another bucket and leave that behind
What does it tastes like underneath?
I haven't actually tasted it, don't have a tap on that bucket and if it's a dodgy infection I'm wary of siphoning it into another bucket... What do you think, dump or maybe siphon from under the top to investigate further?!

Leann ull

February 11, 2017, 08:37:37 PM #123 Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:19:00 PM by CH
Actually before you do anything let me check with Davy as to what it may be

In the meantime while I am waiting for a response
http://www.cider.org.uk/part5.htm

Siphon from under top leave that and 2-3 inches behind .

You could also dissolve campdens in hot water and pour it in new vessel, saw cockagee rec 50ppm (1 per gal) on twitter but that seems a bit much to me?
Above article recs 2

Pour balance of nasty stuff into bottle or demijohn to see what develops and taste in a month.
Sterilise the fuck out of everything that's been in contact with bucket.

How's everybody else's mixed cider getting on?

molc

Mixed cider? The balanced has come out pretty clean already with the dry needing a lot if time to clean up. Did some of the balanced natural and it has a lovely flavour profile young, though I suspect there's some Brett in there as well. Time will tell...
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

Dry will always be a long haul always was historically as well,  Pobs you tried at SCD was 2 years old, but it was spectacular.

molc

Yeah Pobs was a great example of some good aging and a delicious drop.  No issue with the aging on the dry, as traditionally it's turned out to be a great cider after 12-18 months. I'm really interested in the natural vs. the Mj yeast. The pitched yeast is Def. lacking a lot of character that's in the natural ferment, just it'll take a while to see if it's just funky flavours I like or an infection that goes to vinegar.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

Ok Davy has come back to me, he says it's a film yeast, rack off gently and leave skin behind adding some campden.

tipp brewer

Having read this, decided to check the cornies, I ve a film yeast infection in the balanced also. I don't have another corny so thinking of maybe bottling that batch as I m about to move house so moving a corny with the infection is only going to mix it into it. The other thing I thought about was using cool boiled water to try and float the infection off the top. There is a bit of a gap, I m guessing I d probably need about 5 litres which will reduce the abv though as its coming out at about 6 % , I reckon it could probably take it? Any thoughts

Leann ull

Davy confirmed its contact with air. Odd since yours was in a corny though.
Take off into bucket with campden and bottle it or into another corny you need to be very very careful in moving and leave an inch it 2 behind

Bubbles

Quote from: CH on February 20, 2017, 09:49:23 PM
Davy confirmed its contact with air. Odd since yours was in a corny though.
Take off into bucket with campden and bottle it or into another corny you need to be very very careful in moving and leave an inch it 2 behind

I did two drums this year, both fermented in the container the juice the came in. Both drums from the same source (Con Traas). I racked one drum to a secondary FV and left the other one out of pure laziness. The juice in the secondary developed a light film yeast. So the problem definitely seems to be related to contact with the air.

I racked into a corny from under the film yeast, and left the remainder in the drum. I didn't use campden though. Fingers crossed.

Jonnycheech

Strange, on that logic my 5L that was transferred to a demi should have gotten the film yeast, but it was the juice in the white drum that showed it. Pretty sure no O2 was getting into the container, it was actively fermenting. Maybe there is some O2 permeability in those drums?
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Leann ull

Out of the drums in 2-3 months and into glass or stainless filled right to neck, use Lidl apple juice if required and purge with co2 or olive oil head to keep bugs out
Fill yeast shouldn't taint but not great to have in there