• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:14:31 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

AJ GB 2016

Started by Will_D, November 14, 2016, 10:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

No I do
Open cap barely to the point that it's not loose but just open, positive head of pressure will blow off the lid as she begins to ferment
Make sure you dilute campden well in warm water, a gentle tip of drum, not shook 02 is not or friend for cider, to mix.
Outside temps are too cold to ferment, pick a spot 13-16 degrees in the house to ferment on cider wine champagne cider or Pilsner yeast
You might consider drawing a bit off and drinking it today to make room for krausen, you don't need as much headspace as beer

Bubbles

Quote from: CH on November 18, 2016, 04:56:56 PM
Open cap barely to the point that it's not loose but just open, positive head of pressure will blow off the lid

That reminds me, I need to have a frank discussion with the chisellers tonight about not messing with Daddy's new beer buckets..

Quote from: CH on November 18, 2016, 04:56:56 PM
a gentle tip of drum, not shook 02 is not or friend for cider, to mix.

This was news to me, after I had a conversation with CH yesterday evening. When I got juice in 2014 and 2015, I aerated the hell out of it.. :-/

Leann ull

Another tip if you want to bump your gravity if to use brown sugar for a more complex profile instead of white.

molc

Wonder could we add the brown sugar when transferring to secondary. It'll referment but  means I can try it in a small 5L sample...
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Qs

So how long before you move to secondary?

Leann ull

Cider is long and slow and can drop to 0.995 so keep the hydrometer sanitised :)

Bubbles

My yeast is away! Youngs cider yeast. What's everyone else using?

Qs

Mangrove Jacks Cider yeast

Jonnycheech

Just letting them go with their natural yeast. I have them in a fridge that's at around 19C and there is noticeable activity in the demo-john, interesting smell emanating from the fermenter at the moment too. I have read that the natural yeast can vary between absolutely amazing and much better than any packet yeast to badger's arse.

The year before last I made a batch with just plain white packet yeast. I used a decent dose of campden to kill off the natural yeast initially and I was left with a hefty bang of sulphur that never faded, i want to avoid that this time.

I think in the spring I'll transfer it to demi-johns with the following additions: strawberries, raspberries and blackberries in various ratios and quantities. Roll on the spring. Cheers CH!   O0
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

BrewDorg

Used Danstar Belle Saison. Fermenting away nicely now.

Leann ull

EC118, Bulldog, Uvaferm(commercial wine yeast) and yeast I like most, Gervin

aweisse

Anyone know where the supplier got the drums, would be handy for storeing beer.

Leann ull

So without Campden or yeast this is what it should look like now

With Campden it kills or suppresses the natural yeasties and so here is one with campden, and I have just pitched the yeast

Will_D

Its very interesting as to how the 2 juices are fermenting:

The Monday juice bubbles away without much foam.

The Thursday juice is very foamy!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Leann ull

I think it's because the Thursday juice went straight into drums will with all the goodies whereas the Monday juice went into ibcs first and then into drums