• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:38:11 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Wine is weak?

Started by jdh, March 09, 2017, 09:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdh

Howdy,I made a 5 bottle pinot grigio wine kit a while back for my wife,she gave the thumbs up so went for the 30 bottle kit and she reckons there's no alcohol in it,done all by the book but gave all the stages more time than in the instructions,it was way less than 1000 when I bottled it,tastes good,is there any way to rescue it(ie add alcohol)if I emptied all the bottles back into the fermenter and added suger and yeast would it bring up the alcohol in time????thanks in advance
J

nigel_c

Did you take hydrometer readings at the start & end?

Will_D

If you followed the instructions re. the kit and sugar additions and it fermented down to 1.000 then there is plenty of alcohol. You are not supposed to taste alcohol in a wine, its all part of the round mouthfeel of the wine.

If its a bit thin and dry then you have lots of alcohol but have lost body.

Try adding a splash of Lidl red grape juice.

HTH Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Dunkel

The cheaper 30 bottle wine kits, where you have to add sugar, typically give a finished wine of 11-11.5% alcohol. For higher alcohol and a better taste, use 30 bottle kits with a minimum of 7kg of concentrated grape juice in them. And you have to keep the missus happy  ;D

jdh

March 10, 2017, 10:08:33 PM #4 Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:42:52 PM by jdh
yep took the Hydrometer readings before and after and it looks to me like it should be ok.

edit,she tried another bottle last night and all is ok,it must have been a bad bottle somehow but all is well!!!