• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 06, 2024, 04:54:17 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brut IPA

Started by mick02, May 23, 2018, 03:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazza

TBH, it's a style I'll probably never bother attempting.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Pheeel

Issues with your membership? PM me!

pob

molc

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

biertourist

I'll jump in on this one (late again).

Brut IPA is the San Francisco breweries taking San Diego IPA one step further, IMHO.  That nice dry San Diego finish made even drier.  I've had 6-8 of them over the past few months.

There's a number of different ways that breweries are brewing them. Many / most? of them are using corn or rice in the mash / in a cereal mash like a traditional American adjunct lager, in additional to the enzyme addition.  Some are JUST using a good percentage of corn or rice.  Some are JUST using the enzyme.

Personally, I don't like the flavor changes from the corn / rice versions.

The late hop additions IS to ensure that you still end up with a really hoppy beer that doesn't have the bitterness to finishing gravity ratio thrown off too far.

I'm going to try a version that replaces some of the base malt with sucrose or dextrose instead of corn/rice or enzyme (use the technique that Belgian Tripels and many "Triple IPAs" use to dry the beer out).

IMHO, the beer should be canned or bottled in a champagne bottle with high CO2 levels to give it that prickley champagne-like carbonation, too.

Adam

Water_Wolf

Incidentally, Brut IPA was discussed in the Jan/Feb issue of Zymurgy, with input from Mitch Steele.

I've had a few Brut IPAs (e.g. New Belgium one on tap a few weeks ago) but haven't been particularly impressed by them yet.