• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 05:54:31 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Tasting Exam March 2019

Started by Partridge9, October 30, 2018, 09:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrewDorg

Still haven't gotten around to the entrance exam. Anyone who has done it able to give a rough estimate on study time and effort required? Any advice on the most efficient way of going about it?

CH

1. Mick02
2. Helmet
3. BrewDorg
4. KDeath
5. JDC
6. CClinton48
7. Jcdonnan
8. Qs
9. Padraic
10. Nico02
11. pete.23
12. CH

molc

Quote from: BrewDorg on January 06, 2019, 03:47:02 PM
Still haven't gotten around to the entrance exam. Anyone who has done it able to give a rough estimate on study time and effort required? Any advice on the most efficient way of going about it?
Best way is to get the three pack and just give it a go to see where you stand. It's not bad but there are a lot of questions.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

helmet

Quote from: BrewDorg on January 06, 2019, 03:47:02 PM
Finally got around to doing the online exam the other day. I managed to pass somehow, but it's tough going. There are 180 questions that you have 60 minutes to get through. I only got about 170ish of them done and was rushing the last 15 or so that I did get done.

The only tip I'd have is to keep a couple of copies of the BJCP guidelines open in front of you. I did it on the laptop and used the search function to find the styles for the side by side comparison questions. There were plenty of "American Amber and Belgian Blonde ales have the same IBU range, true or false" style questions and I found having 2 docs open on the laptop was handy.

Pheeel

I did it a couple of years ago. Didn't find it too hard but I had done a lot of going over the style guidelines and off flavours before. Worst case you fail and can try again
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Sokratees9

I just passed the exam, but also just realised I can't make that date.  I'll have to look into another option, maybe somewhere across the water.

Sokratees9

I just noticed the exam date on here:

https://www.bjcp.org/exams.php

is the 9th of Feb.  I assume it is just outdated information...

BrewDorg

Good to hear fellas, thanks for the insight. Must get my ass in gear this week

KDeath

Won't be able to attend this I'm afraid

1. Mick02
2. Helmet
3. BrewDorg
4. JDC
5. CClinton48
6. Jcdonnan
7. Qs
8. Padraic
9. Nico02
10. pete.23
11. CH

Partridge9

Quote from: Sokratees9 on January 06, 2019, 10:11:53 PM
I just noticed the exam date on here:

https://www.bjcp.org/exams.php

is the 9th of Feb.  I assume it is just outdated information...

Technically its a feb exam but we had to push it out due to flights / proctors etc
So its March 9th - sorry for the confusion !

James

Partridge9

Ok folks -

The Exam is all confirmed and proctor flights booked.
As Andrew mentioned - we are looking to have a sensory session / dummy exam the weekend before..

We might do two beers in exam conditions and then go thought a sensory session.
Or some combination of that - Either way- get your online exam sorted

With regards to BJCP Tasting exam.. please pay a deposit of 10 euro to reserve your spot
paypal to ...
bjcp@nationalhomebrewclub.ie
Please put your contact name / name and BJCP ID (if you know it) is the comments field.

We expect the price to be around 70 euro .. which includes BJCP and costs on the day.

We will do a seperate sign up for the prep class the week before - try to do that if you can.

James

CH

BrewDorg

Entrance exam passed this evening. Deposit sent across too. Are we supposed to know our BJCP number at this stage?

molc

No you get a tasting exam number that you put in the exam and then after the exam you get your BJCP number, regardless of results.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

JDC

Quote from: Partridge9 on January 21, 2019, 08:32:47 PM
Ok folks -

The Exam is all confirmed and proctor flights booked.
As Andrew mentioned - we are looking to have a sensory session / dummy exam the weekend before..

We might do two beers in exam conditions and then go thought a sensory session.
Or some combination of that - Either way- get your online exam sorted

With regards to BJCP Tasting exam.. please pay a deposit of 10 euro to reserve your spot
paypal to ...
bjcp@nationalhomebrewclub.ie
Please put your contact name / name and BJCP ID (if you know it) is the comments field.

We expect the price to be around 70 euro .. which includes BJCP and costs on the day.

We will do a seperate sign up for the prep class the week before - try to do that if you can.

James

Cheers James, sorted out my family commitments so can make the exam ;D. Just paid the deposit (from wife's PayPal account).
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!