• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:44:56 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Monthly Meet - June 20th - Harbour Bar, Bray

Started by fishjam45 (Colin), May 24, 2019, 07:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishjam45 (Colin)

Location: Parlour (behind the bar) in The Harbour Bar, 1 Strand Road, Bray (opposite the harbour).

Date: Thursday 20th June @ 8.00pm

Any new members welcome, open to all.

Come on in for an evening of talking & tasting everything homebrewed.

If you have some brews you want to bring along for tasting, 2 x 500mL should do.

Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

pob

pob

Bumpy, reminder ...

All new lurkers welcome, we don't bite.

pob

Great selection of beers last night.

Big surprise was the 6 day lager - new Kviek lager strain, brewed/pitched on Fri 14th June, served last night!! Clean, dry, well attenuated - a truly new way of brewing. A few tweaks & a potential medal winning beer.

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

molc

Quote from: pob on June 21, 2019, 08:58:39 AM
Great selection of beers last night.

Big surprise was the 6 day lager - new Kviek lager strain, brewed/pitched on Fri 14th June, served last night!! Clean, dry, well attenuated - a truly new way of brewing. A few tweaks & a potential medal winning beer.
Question on the Kveik lager - did it come out more bitter than expected? I'm finding that with the kveik yeasts but wonder is it just me and my process.

Should just get my ass to the meets and ask the questions in person :D
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

pob

It was Fishjam45's lager, I believe it was quite a simple, standard recipe to see how the yeast worked, hopped with Mittelfruh.

From tasting it seemed spot on, a very good example, well balanced, well attenuated/dry finish, right body, clean - hit all the marks.

For a vs2 (my take only), maybe try & develop the malt character, eg melanoidin, a bit more.

For a first brew with a new strain, quite astonishing to be honest. We're only talking the last 1% type of tweak.

pob

Quote from: DEMPSEY on June 21, 2019, 10:22:30 AM
6 DAYS for a lager ???
6 days from pitching to drinking!!! Mind blowing alright.
No fancy 'Tasty' style lagering either, straight into keg on day 5 for mega quick carbing (just so we could taste it). Given a weeks proper conditioning & slower carbing would improve, but not really by much.

It's not even a 'it's a good result for such a quick turnaround', it's a v good beer, straight off.

irish_goat

Sounds impressive.

Would be some serious savings to be made for a microbrewery if that yeast is commerically viable.

pob

Major factor would be the balance of costs in having to heat the FV to ~35°C vs cost of time in traditional longer ferment time for lager yeasts.

irish_goat

Quote from: pob on June 21, 2019, 02:01:56 PM
Major factor would be the balance of costs in having to heat the FV to ~35°C vs cost of time in traditional longer ferment time for lager yeasts.

How long is it needing to be held at that temp though? I'd imagine a bit of heating will cost much less in the long run than a few stainless tanks anyway though.

pob

3-4 days, issue might be to whether the current FV setup could handle the high temps, might only have a capacity for traditional beer temperatures, eg <30°C

irish_goat

Quote from: pob on June 21, 2019, 02:16:04 PM
3-4 days, issue might be to whether the current FV setup could handle the high temps, might only have a capacity for traditional beer temperatures, eg <30°C

Good point, would imagine you'd be ok at 35c for most conicals though.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Can we hear a bit more about the process, pitch rate, malt bill and fermentation conditions of this kveik lager ?

Did it actually come across in the lager ball park in the end ?

Genuinely curious, as I have an actual lager that has been in the FV for over 3 months (because I messed some shit up, but managed to slowly fix it). Very interested now in a yeast that can turn around bright beer in short time.