• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 10:51:56 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

receipe request

Started by pk, October 15, 2019, 10:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk

hi all,
Its been so long since I brewed anything I have nearly forgotten how to do it!

I was on a trip to nottingham and tasted this delicious beer:
https://www.beer-genius.co.uk/brand_information.aspx?Id=25

Would anyone have a more exact recipe for this?

Thanks a mill
Paul

TheSumOfAllBeers

Can you explain more about the beer ? Is this beer in widespread distribution or is it on sale only in the Pub that gives it its name?

Greene King are an odd brewer (now sold out). They can certainly brew good beers, but good luck finding them, as they prefer to carpet bomb their 2000 odd pub estate with Greene King IPA which at best is very ordinary, but has a reputation for being kept very poorly.

They are not as open to brewers or beer fans as other breweries, but I would try and get in touch with the brewers themselves, or the Nottingham branch of CAMRA for a few ideas.

The key thing they mention is that they coax Pear Drop & Pineapple out of the yeast, which is unusual.

pk

Hi,
it was their special beer on tap for the pub only. Kind of like Old SPeckled Hen.
Paul

DEMPSEY

The link pretty much says what I expected from an English bitter. 92% pale maris otter, 8% crystal 120 would be my guess. As for the hops, challenger and WGV and pilgrim are listed.   
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Rosmucman

From their description I wouldn't be surprised if they used WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast.

"This strain is sourced from Burton upon Trent, England which is known for pushing IPAs into the spotlight. It produces a subtle fruity ester profile which can be described as notes of apple, clover honey and pear. A background sulfur note is common with this strain. Great for use in hoppy American and English styles such as pale ales, bitters and ambers"

TheSumOfAllBeers

As it's greene king, they are almost certainly using the house yeast.

I don't know if their house strain is available from wyeast or white labs

Darragh1980

So I have brewed Joe's Irish Red Ale with amazing success in the US. Granted I have not brewed it here yet but it is my next brew day.

9lbs Pale malt - MO
1lb Carared
12oz Flaked Barley
8oz Caramel/crystal 80L
1.9oz Choclate Malt 450srm
1oz EKG 60mins
.5oz ekg 5mins
WLP004

Mash at around 152f for an hour and sparge accordingly.