• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 01:22:22 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Help with foul smelling brews

Started by onemanorthree, December 01, 2019, 01:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onemanorthree

December 01, 2019, 01:02:28 PM Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 01:32:50 PM by onemanorthree
Using a GrainFather to brew beer but for the last year or so beers are coming out
smelling quite badly. Kind of acrid/rotten egg smell. It didnt use to be like this so not sure
what's changed.

I use new grain, I think I'm cleaning quite well, sterilize pretty much everything,
use campden tabs both at fermentation and while bottling. All hops kept correctly
(sealed and in freezer) and yeast all in date and the right kind. Honestly dont know what
the issue is. I dry hop but doesnt improve the smell much, all hop smell is taken over by
this foul smell.

Also, I use 1 campden tab per 5 liters which I put in the wort before I add yeast.
I then put the same in post fermentation before bottling.

Any help appreciated.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Sulphur is a yeast health issue. Some yeasts will chuck out loads of it in normal conditions, but other than that it's stressed yeast. Pitch correctly, use temp control for your fermentation and aerate well before pitching

onemanorthree

I feel like I've done all of those things. I aerate the wort, make a small starter, temp is pretty constant,
I'm concerned that it's happened the last 5-6 brews and this is at diff times of the year when the pretty sure
the temp is fine and I've used 3- diff' kind of yeast. Any chance it's the campden tabs?

If I add yeast nutrient, will this help and can I just use normal baking yeast nutrient of do I need specialized?

mr hoppy

Are you putting campden tablets in wort (not cleaning water) post boil and at bottling? Why?

I would agree that could be your problem as CT can create sulfur tastes and can kill yeast. You need to wait 24 House after adding CT before adding yeast or packaging.

eoghanr

Definitely leave out the campden tablets altogether. They are producing sulphur dioxide in your beer which is causing that smell. They are used in wine in the way that you describe but I've never come across them being used that way for beer. Use a half tablet in your brewing water the night before you brew to remove chloramines (if you use tap water), but I wouldn't put it near the beer after that.

onemanorthree

ok, I was using the in the wort post boil to be extra careful with infections!

Is there any way of saving the beer? It's really sulfuric now. Was going to add
either more yeast or some yeast nutrient to see if that would help.

nigel_c

onemanorthree

I use 5ltr minikeg and also bottle some, usually 2 kegs and the rest in bottles.

eoghanr

Quote from: onemanorthree on December 02, 2019, 09:39:12 AM
ok, I was using the in the wort post boil to be extra careful with infections!

Is there any way of saving the beer? It's really sulfuric now. Was going to add
either more yeast or some yeast nutrient to see if that would help.

You would need to leave the bottles/kegs open for up to 24 hours for the sulphur to dissipate, but then you run the risk of oxidising the beer. You'd need to drink them quickly afterwards. Try it with one bottle and see how it goes. Worst case scenario, it's all drain fodder, but you'll know not to do it again, and your next beer will be the best you've ever made!

onemanorthree

It's still in the fermenter, perhaps I can just take the lid off and see what it's like after 24 hours?
I cant really drink it as it is anyway.

Was thinking, put dry hops in, leave lid off, see what happens!

nigel_c

If you have a co2 cylinder you could bubble some gas through it to blow off any smells.

irish_goat

Do you have any malt extract? You could boil some up and add it to the keg to try and kick start more fermentation, it would help scrub the sulfur a little.

onemanorthree

@irish_goat; Yeah, I have plenty at home, I'll give it a shot

@nigel_c; I dont have a co2 cylinder

mr hoppy

it is supposed to be' possibile to remove excess sulfur with copper. tried it on a cider once, no joy.

eoghanr

Quote from: onemanorthree on December 02, 2019, 01:20:00 PM
It's still in the fermenter, perhaps I can just take the lid off and see what it's like after 24 hours?
I cant really drink it as it is anyway.

Was thinking, put dry hops in, leave lid off, see what happens!

What temp is it at in the fermenter? If you're still at fermentation temp and it's done fermenting you could just bring the temperature up to room temp. It'll let off dissolved co2 as it warms and that might be enough to drive the sulphur out.