• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 05:57:57 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Batch is flat

Started by Davmcgoo, April 29, 2020, 01:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davmcgoo

Hi guys, looking for some advice. I brewed a craft range IPA kit and just opened the first bottle to find it is very flat. Small hiss when I opened it but absolutely no head and no bubbles in the beer. I batch primed it in 100g of priming sugar and bottled in plastic PET bottles. I have only left them 2 weeks and I'm guessing the temperature I've had them at has been about 16°C. I'm going to leave them somewhere warmer and hope that helps. Any advice? Thanks

Pheeel

100g of sugar for what volume?
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Davmcgoo

Quote from: Pheeel on April 30, 2020, 07:15:19 PM100g of sugar for what volume?

Sorry, 23 litres. 100g was what the instructions recommended and what was provided.

nigel_c

How did it taste? overtly sweet would tell you priming sugar was not fermented yet.
What was your procedure?
Priming sugar is normally added to a bottling bucket right before bottling. I've heard times where people added the sugar to with the kit. the priming sugar needs to be added at the very end.
Just trying to figure it out.

Raxy

I Used to put 130g sugar to carbonate that when I made it. Only time I had issues with carbonation was after cold crashing.
Maybe try invert each bottle & leave somewhere a bit warmer to see if it improves.

Davmcgoo

Quote from: nigel_c on May 01, 2020, 08:06:49 AMHow did it taste? overtly sweet would tell you priming sugar was not fermented yet.
What was your procedure?
Priming sugar is normally added to a bottling bucket right before bottling. I've heard times where people added the sugar to with the kit. the priming sugar needs to be added at the very end.
Just trying to figure it out.

Tasted fine, not sweet or anything. Procedure was I dissolved 100g of sugar into 250ml of boiling water. Added that to a bottling bucket. Gently transferred my beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket and bottled straight away. There must be some carbonation in them because the bottles are stiff but it goes flat immediately after pouring.

Davmcgoo

Quote from: Raxy on May 01, 2020, 09:24:43 AMI Used to put 130g sugar to carbonate that when I made it. Only time I had issues with carbonation was after cold crashing.
Maybe try invert each bottle & leave somewhere a bit warmer to see if it improves.

Ok thanks I'll do that.

Davmcgoo

To follow up on this I inverted the bottles and wrapped them in an electric blanket. Tried one after about 3 days and it was much better so I'm going to leave the rest for another few days.