• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:53:05 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Barrel Project - Summary Thread

Started by Shane Phelan, April 27, 2013, 08:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

uh-oh, have you done that before 3rd paragraph from bottom? others have a read of this.
http://www.byo.com/aeration/item/1882-fermenting-high-gravity-beers-techniques
My wicklow one is stuck at 1030 and I am going to have to drag it to the finish line kicking and screaming!

Shane Phelan

May 20, 2013, 09:17:18 PM #16 Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:45:16 AM by shiny
I have never finished this high before but I have obtained that level of attenuation with this yeast before. The last time I used WLP004 I got an attenuation of 68% and sure enough I have got 68% again this time. The spec's for the yeast give an attenuation range of 69% to 74% so its not that far off?

I didn't take any steps to get the batch lower the first time it happened so I'm hopeful I will be able to get it to drop a few more points before it goes into the barrel. 

As a precaution I'm going to grow up some San Diego yeast (Kindly donated by Dr. Jacoby) and pitch that to get it down further.
Brew Log

Cathal O D

May 21, 2013, 01:51:48 PM #17 Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:13:47 PM by Cathal O D
When are we hoping to fill the barrel? ?

Padraic

I jsut sent out a feeler for storage, we still haven't a place to put it nailed down!

I saw the picture of the liffey brewers barrel and it looked lonely in a big empty shed all on it's own...

But on a serious note, does anyone have a place we can store it?

Shane Phelan

Rent a storage unit for 4 or 5 months?

I tried pricing them but they all require you to contact them for a quote. Minimum looks to be €50/month
Brew Log

Dr Jacoby

Now that I'm officially paid up as a Capital Brewer, I should probably offer my services  ;D

I have access to a large bricks and mortar shed in Naas. It's within the Pale so not too much of a psychological stretch for the inner city crowd. I used it before for the barrel project I was involved in a few years back. It's stays nice and cool in the summer months and there's plenty of spare space.

I know it'll be a bit of a journey for most of you but if you're interested let me know and we can sort something out.
Every little helps

Padraic

Thanks for the offer!

We'll take you up on it if nothing closer to o'connell street turns up!

Rossa

May 24, 2013, 10:28:18 AM #23 Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:48:54 PM by Rossa
Cheers Peter. Certainly something to consider.

Bubbles

All,

The publishing team are currently look at the best ways of documenting the NHC's fantastic "Barrel Project". We've decided to create and publish a series of articles on the project over the next 6 months or so.

The series will cover technical aspects of aging beer in barrels, purchase and delivery of the said items as well as a report from each individual club barrel at various stages of the process.

To achieve this aim, we will need a nominated representative from each barrel project who is willing to supply us with the necessary information like recipe, barrel siting, filling, tasting notes, competition success etc. Photos would be great too, if you have any. If you're interested in being your project's rep, can you attach your name to the thread below?

http://nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2611.0.html

Many thanks,
Conor.

Padraic

So no storage available closer to town?

@ Declan - What diameter are the barrels at their widest?

Rossa

The votes are in from the Loreto Brewery jury.
Batch 1 : 1018
Batch 2:  1017

Padraic

It is looking likely that we will be able to store the Barrel in TOG.

So I guess we need to start thinking of a filling day! Would we like to do it on a week day or during the weekend?

I will nail down definite confirmation of this but we're most likely getting a spot in the server room which was about 10-15 degree's yesterday in the heat so is ideal for barrel storage!

Rossa

Rossa

I've got about 46l.

When are we looking at filling this lady?