• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:25:02 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Barrel Yeast

Started by Rossa, April 28, 2013, 06:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossa

Who needs WLP 004 or Wyeast Irish Ale ? Myself and Shiny can help out but we need to know asap who requires it. If we can get it to the Capital meet up on Tuesday it will need to be pitched into a starter pretty much immediately to keep the viability.

1. CathalOD

Shane Phelan

I have several starters going in case people need yeast. As Rossa points out, they aren't going to be pitchable quantities and will need a starter.
Brew Log

andrewL46

Are you guys boiling flasks on electric hobs?
Always thought there was a greater risk of them cracking!
I just use a camping burner but if electric hobs are working
I may start using it!

Shane Phelan

Its the other way round, naked flame is more dangerous than electric hobs.

I don't really boil wort in the flasks  anyway. I just boil in a pot and add it in later, boil-overs take longer to happen in a pot, in conicals its like a volcano in seconds. :P
Brew Log

Will_D

Demi-Johns are made of Soda Glass and I would not recommend putting them on an electric stove top - Defo. NOT gas!

Also with a DJ be careful of hot/cold liquids shock!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Shane Phelan

Yeah I thought the Demi-John went without saying in terms of heating it on a stove! I put it on a ring of the stove as I had slowly filled the Demi-John with boiling wort and didn't want to put it down on the cold worktop. I warmed up one of the rings to around 60 degrees and then switched it off and put the demi john on that. Thermal shock avoided.  8)
Brew Log

Padraic

Quote from: shiny on April 28, 2013, 07:30:05 PM
I don't really boil wort in the flasks  anyway. I just boil in a pot and add it in later, boil-overs take longer to happen in a pot, in conicals its like a volcano in seconds. :P

Surely that's a reason to use a conical flask for boiling :)

I best jump on this bandwagon!

1. CathalOD
2. Padraic

Rossa

I'll do a spot of top cropping before bed so.

CARA

Yes please!
01. CathalOD
02. Padraic
03. CARA
Upa Sesh

irish_goat

Shane Phelan

April 29, 2013, 11:32:07 AM #10 Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:59:04 PM by shiny
Joey and myself are slanting them this week so I can leave one aside for you. Everyone on this list is getting slurry though as there isn't enough time for them to get from slant to pitchable quantity by next weekend. I'm not too sure how much yeast I will have but will know for sure tomorrow morning.

01. CathalOD - Slurry
02. Padraic - Slurry
03. CARA - Slurry
04. irish_goat - Slurry
05. Tube - Slant
06. Joey - Slurry
Brew Log

Shane Phelan

April 30, 2013, 02:08:02 PM #11 Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:52:57 PM by shiny
Ok I have 3 vials of slurry taken fresh from a 3L starter this morning and have few slants also. They should be a sufficient concentration for a 2/3L starter. Whoever is brewing this weekend has first dibs on the slurry, anyone brewing the following weekend should be ok with a slant.

01. CathalOD - Slurry
02. Padraic - Slurry
03. CARA - Slurry
04. irish_goat - Slurry
05. Tube - Slant
06. Joey - Slurry

PS - They are still fermenting in the vials as I hadn't fermented out the starter I just crashed cooled it. So keep venting them until you pitch or put them in the fridge....
Brew Log

Rossa

I have two. They will be at kavanagh's tonight.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2