• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 07:01:45 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

beer bread

Started by christhebrewer, May 25, 2013, 08:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christhebrewer

I decided to try this today with the yeast left from an APA.
About 400g strong white flour
8g salt
About 100g yeast cake from white labs 001 left from a hoppy pale ale
30 or 40 ml of the same beer.
30g sunflower oil.
Mix to a wet dough and kneed in the bowl by lifting and stretching for about 4 mins.
Leave to rise for 5 hours at 20c

To my surprise this worked. It rose well and I made it into small loaves and baked at 250 till nice and brown. The bread is really nice with a rich flavour and definate hops flavour. We ate it with a beef and stout casserole.
I will definately do this again.

Dodge

Sounds great! Your making me hungry now ;D

johnrm

For a simple Spent grain bread,  get one of those Odlums Quick breads and lob in a cup of spent grain.

johnrm

Next we'll be having a Bake'n'Brew expo!

Ciderhead

Quote from: johnrm on May 27, 2013, 09:07:32 PM
Next we'll be having a Bake'n'Brew expo!

You can make dog cookies with spent grain, I say that as I have seen the size of your dog!.

johnrm

Our dog needs to reduce, not increase flatulence...  ???

Eoin

Quote from: Tube on May 27, 2013, 08:58:36 PM
Nice recipe Chris!

I think we need a Food forum?

Yeah go for it.

I've recently started buying fresh yeast in the local Polish shop and have been doing bread with it. The difference to dry yeast is huge, I'd not have believed it had I not tried it myself. the flavour and the crumb is better than with dried yeast, it's also a lot faster than the dried stuff.

christhebrewer

I have been getting fresh yeast from the bakery in superquin for a while now. 60c for 100g of yeast, it's one of the few good things that are not over priced in the world!  I think I love making bread almost as much as I love making beer! And you get the result the same day! God, Ted, I love yeast. Right, I'm off to bed.

AdeFlesk

I am going to join  this bread making club too, also go to the polish shop for the fresh yeast, although I found i needed  to  use 1.5 times  what the recipe calls for as  its trip from Poland { a guess of mine}  would not be yeast friendly .
Good idea on starting a food forum, next project of mine is into making some bacon for rashers using a dry cure and smoking it too.  Along with trying  out making sausages from around the world

delzep

More forums? Theres too many already

Partridge9

Who is adding the food board forum ??  - -Probably best to running it by a few admin before creating a new forum -

johnrm

Will I take it away again?

Metattron

I would +1 a food forum. I love fresh bread, grow fruit and have grown veg, but none this year. Big +1 on a sub forum for smokers and bbqers. A lot of this fits in with the home brewer ethos, and if it grows, it might be worth looking at a new group.
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

johnrm

If you build it they will come.

I think lumping too much stuff into 'General' sort of makes it sort-of useless.

delzep

I'd be completely against adding more forums. Too much probably turns people away....and I think theres too much as it is to be honest