• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 02:05:59 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Where to get a pizza stone?

Started by admin, June 27, 2013, 01:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Anyone know anything about these?

I have a BBQ with a lid on it that I want to use.

Can you really use a tile?

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Garry

I use a floor tile in the oven at 240°C. I've been using the same tile for a couple of years now and would use it nearly every week. It hasn't broke yet. Put the tile in the oven for about 20 minutes to heat it up nice and hot before putting the pizza on it.

Padraic

Quote from: Il Tubo on June 27, 2013, 01:03:29 PM
Anyone know anything about these?

I have a BBQ with a lid on it that I want to use.

Can you really use a tile?

Not sure about the barbeque, will enough heat be coming from the top down onto the pizza?

I got mine in newry but I have seen them in Dunnes or somewhere in the past! I'll let you know if I find anything!

Any dry stone should do the trick, make sure it's not wet or it will split/explode!

Eoin

You can get pizza stones in the kitchen section of Debenhams.

I've also used my barbecue with my stone in the past, it was moderately successful.

You'll also need a good oven thermometer too though.

marceldesailly

arnotts have them on sale at the minute. €15ish.

Rossa

The stones are alright. The metal ones seem to work better in my oven.

Sammy7p

I also use a terracotta floor tile which I got in B+Q for €6... Be sure to get an unglazed tile as glaze may contain lead

Chris

I also use terracotta floor tile. I have used it in BBQ but the lid needs to be closed for a food while to get the temp up. Get the pizza in quick and close lid again.
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

Will_D

I use a ceramic floor tile - no problems in the oven.

Not thought to try on the BBQ though, must try it along with some nice wood smoke!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Bubbles

The perforated pizza pans yield decent results, but they also have to be pre-heated for the best results.

One of these days, I'm going to have a wood-fired pizza oven in the garden.  8)

DrowningManatee

has anyone seen the cob ovens? cob is the stuff people build passive houses from using mud and straw. you build em and have a connecting bench which is heated by the oven then. could be a cool project someday (they're outdoors too o course)
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

RichC

Quote from: DrowningManatee on July 07, 2013, 04:14:57 AM
has anyone seen the cob ovens? cob is the stuff people build passive houses from using mud and straw. you build em and have a connecting bench which is heated by the oven then. could be a cool project someday (they're outdoors too o course)
Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall did it on one of the River Cottage shows. Method something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AY8jbOnwwg except his was on a stack of cavity blocks