• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:38:51 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

What flour do you use in pizza and where do you get it?

Started by admin, June 28, 2013, 07:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdeFlesk

I use any strong flour and semolina from Asian shops.

recipe as follows

700g of strong flour
200g of semolina
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of oregano
2 tbspn of olive oil
340 mls of water  { this is not exact as flour can absorb more or less water}
1 dessert spn of sugar
30gm of fresh yeast { polish shop, found you need to add that amount if  dried use 14g}

mix and kneed put in fridge overnight or let prove warm for two hours
and use with your fav toppings

christhebrewer

I'm just eating a foccacia I mabe this morning using Polish flour, very nice too! It's definately different to the Skackeltons but not in a bad way. I think I will adjust the water in the recipe down a bit. At 99c/kilo it's great value too.
The make is " Mlyn Jaczkowice" Maka Pszenna TYP 500.
How do I get a photo up here?

Eoin

Quote from: christhebrewer on July 04, 2013, 11:57:54 AM
I'm just eating a foccacia I mabe this morning using Polish flour, very nice too! It's definately different to the Skackeltons but not in a bad way. I think I will adjust the water in the recipe down a bit. At 99c/kilo it's great value too.
The make is " Mlyn Jaczkowice" Maka Pszenna TYP 500.

Typ 550 is strong
Typ 500 is plain.

Just so you know for future reference, the typ 550 tends to be called Luksusowa.

Eoin

I've also had success making bread with the typ 500 Poznanska flour which they recommend for making perogis and similar.

Eoin

Quote from: christhebrewer on July 04, 2013, 11:57:54 AM

Put photo on photobucket or imageshack and then post the IMG link here.

christhebrewer

brenmurph

Dominos use a very strong heavily milled (20,000 particles per grain) and a shit load of gluten.........

I make it with strong bread flour, spent grain, beer yeast and patience.....

make dough onto Liathrodi.....250 grams small pizza 500 grams family pizza... keep in fridge 3 days and then take out to room tems and let rise and make ur pizza

its more in the maturation of the dough  ( goes a lot more elastic with few days sitting in fridge) than the flour in the dough

Bubbles

Brendan, any tips for stretching out the dough and getting a nice round shape? My pizzas tend to be a bit oddly-shaped.

Even if I let the dough "relax" before shaping, I find it still springs back a lot..

Eoin

Quote from: christhebrewer on July 04, 2013, 04:08:48 PM
How do I include a photo in the post itself?

Post the IMG link if you look at the top of the posting view you have insert image among the widgets, press on that and then insert the image link ending in jpg or whatever.

brenmurph

Quote from: Bubbles on July 04, 2013, 04:35:00 PM
Brendan, any tips for stretching out the dough and getting a nice round shape? My pizzas tend to be a bit oddly-shaped.

Even if I let the dough "relax" before shaping, I find it still springs back a lot..
[/quote

a little more cooking should make it less elastic and more plastic :)

christhebrewer

Strength of flour is down to protein content. arount 10% is plain, 11% or better is strong. Paul Hollywood says 12-14%. I've been reading the packets lately and Odlums strong flour is 11%. The 00 from "dallari" I have here is 10.2%. The Polish I mentioned earlier is 11.5%.
The best pizza in Ireland is found in the Mama Mia Cafe in Bray (cue major argument!) and they use 00. Don't know what strength.
My Italian is pretty poor but I think he said they rise the dough in the fridge overnight. Doe that make sense to anyone? Will it rise in the fridge?
The also bake at 360c! I might have to modify my oven!

Eoin

Quote from: christhebrewer on July 05, 2013, 01:58:33 PM
Strength of flour is down to protein content. arount 10% is plain, 11% or better is strong. Paul Hollywood says 12-14%. I've been reading the packets lately and Odlums strong flour is 11%. The 00 from "dallari" I have here is 10.2%. The Polish I mentioned earlier is 11.5%.
The best pizza in Ireland is found in the Mama Mia Cafe in Bray (cue major argument!) and they use 00. Don't know what strength.
My Italian is pretty poor but I think he said they rise the dough in the fridge overnight. Doe that make sense to anyone? Will it rise in the fridge?
The also bake at 360c! I might have to modify my oven!

Yep it's a slower rise in the fridge as just like with brewing it slows activity, it would seem it produces more flavour when risen slower, I suppose less phenols etc??

christhebrewer

I mixed up a bread yesterday around six oclock. Usual recipe with Shackeltons extra strong and fresh yeast and stuck it in the fridge. This morning it looks good but only half risen. Maybe my fridge is too cold? It's in my kitchen fridge which has no controller on it (yet) so I don't know the temp. Anyone know what temp gives a good slow rise?

christhebrewer

Good idea.
I just took that bread out of the fridge. It's not fully risen yet but I knocked it down and gave it a bit of a knead and I have to say it feels really good. Great stretch and strength. I'll let it warm up and rise again at 22c for the rest of the day and see how it is then.

christhebrewer

I finished and baked that bread yesterday and it was good. I'm not convinced that the fridge made any real difference but I'm pretty sure I'm getting better bread with the extra strong flour than with the Polish flour.
The research continues.......