• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:23 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

What flour do you use in pizza and where do you get it?

Started by admin, June 28, 2013, 07:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

Quote from: christhebrewer on July 07, 2013, 09:12:54 AM
I finished and baked that bread yesterday and it was good. I'm not convinced that the fridge made any real difference but I'm pretty sure I'm getting better bread with the extra strong flour than with the Polish flour.
The research continues.......

Are you using fresh yeast? I find that really kicked my bread up a notch, just like with brewing, the flavours and the activity is much more than with dried.

I also get that in the Polish shop. They source all of their meat here and I use their butchers a lot cos they have some nice stuff that I don't have to touch when I want to drop it on the barbecue or grill, very well seasoned.

Also the closing of the flour mill does not seem to be an Irish only phenomenon.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/company-behind-hovis-bread-and-mr-kipling-to-close-flour-mill-600063.html

christhebrewer

I've actually never used dried yeast so I can't comment. I have been using fresh yeast from superquin in Bray. 60c for 100g. I tried the fresh yeast from the Polish shop recently (45c/100g) and I find no difference. I have been using about 10g per 500g batch. Is that about right?

Eoin

Quote from: christhebrewer on July 11, 2013, 01:56:05 PM
I've actually never used dried yeast so I can't comment. I have been using fresh yeast from superquin in Bray. 60c for 100g. I tried the fresh yeast from the Polish shop recently (45c/100g) and I find no difference. I have been using about 10g per 500g batch. Is that about right?

I use a much bigger amount myself. I tend to use 33g or so on a 500g loaf. The 500g loaf also ends up closer to 600 by the time the consistency is correct.

I just don't get fresh yeast anywhere else. When I visited the yeast company near Trinity there the guy told me that he no longer does it and to go to a Polish shop, so that's where I got the tip. I only have a few shops local to me so choice is limited.

christhebrewer

That's a lot of yeast!
I cut back from nearly 20g down to 10g. theory is a slower rise (we heard that somewhere else?) seems to work well. It still rises in 3 hours at 20c.

Here's my basic recipie. For pizza etc, a bit wetter for focaccia.
500g Xsrong flour, 10g salt. mixed dry.
10g fresh yeast, 370g tap water. mixed with a fork or with a billy whiz. (400g water for focaccia)
mix the flour/salt and the yeast/water
add 40g olive oil bit by bit while kneading the dough in the bowl (it will be too wet to knead on the board) for 5 mins.
Put cling film over it and rise for 3 hours at 20c.
Tip it out onto a floured board and shape gently into whatever you want. Leave to rise a bit if you like and bake as hot as you can get the oven.
Eat.

Eoin

Quote from: christhebrewer on July 12, 2013, 12:05:07 AM
That's a lot of yeast!
I cut back from nearly 20g down to 10g. theory is a slower rise (we heard that somewhere else?) seems to work well. It still rises in 3 hours at 20c.

Here's my basic recipie. For pizza etc, a bit wetter for focaccia.
500g Xsrong flour, 10g salt. mixed dry.
10g fresh yeast, 370g tap water. mixed with a fork or with a billy whiz. (400g water for focaccia)
mix the flour/salt and the yeast/water
add 40g olive oil bit by bit while kneading the dough in the bowl (it will be too wet to knead on the board) for 5 mins.
Put cling film over it and rise for 3 hours at 20c.
Tip it out onto a floured board and shape gently into whatever you want. Leave to rise a bit if you like and bake as hot as you can get the oven.
Eat.

I've actually started using that high amount for a fast rise, because I don't have the time to wait on a weeknight always for the dough to rise. If I have longer or the yeast is very fresh I'd drop it to about 20g, but I'd still use a lot.
I'll be making bread for this weekend this evening cos Friday is a late night for me normally.

Eoin

Quote from: Il Tubo on July 12, 2013, 04:19:28 PM
That recipe is fairly similar to my own, but I leave out the salt.

Some pizza books recommend half baking the base in the oven for a few minutes before dressing it.

Has anyone done that?

I've seen it being done, but don't do it myself. You see it a lot on triple D.

christhebrewer

I forgot the salt once and the bread was pretty crap. Bread needs salt.
I've never seen a pizza part baked but Marco in Campo di Fiori makes big square pizzas for selling in slices and he lets the dough rise for about half an hour before putting on the toppings. I've tried this and I like it but it's different to regular pizza.