• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:11:02 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Chorizo

Started by admin, July 03, 2013, 10:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

WHY is it so fatty! Holy crap!

RichC

Quote from: Il Tubo on July 03, 2013, 10:27:21 PM
WHY is it so fatty! Holy crap!
The tesco finest range do a chorizo sausage that's really nice and I don't think it's 'too' fatty

LordEoin

But that's where all the flavor is  ;D

Shane Phelan

Brew Log

Shane Phelan

Seriously though, chorizo is amazing especially when in a stew like this:

Brew Log

AdeFlesk

Well i wouldn't be to worried about the fat, as it would be pure animal fat. Its when its the chemically changed fat is when you need to worry. The human body  has delt with fat for many a year.
The main worry is corn syrup ,  see how that pushes up your cholesterol ,  documentary on bbc well worth chasing down is  called the "Men that made us fat"

here it is on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE-H__aIEFE

end of rant ***;-)****

chorizo should be adored

LordEoin

and it's super good to cure a hangover.

Shanna

Better to eat it as a side dish (tapas style) when having a few pints, helps to avoid the hangover in the first place.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

CB_Phil

Quote from: shiny on July 03, 2013, 11:20:42 PM
Seriously though, chorizo is amazing especially when in a stew like this:

You got a recipe?

lordstilton

I have one with butter beans.. Really tasty
Chorizo and butter beans stew

Ingredients
250g chorizo chopped
3 cloves garlic finely chopoed
2 red onion finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tin butter bean drained

Fry off chorizo on medium heat till chorizo colours and releases it's oil.. Throw in onion and garlic and paprika and reduce head to a low heat and fry until onions soften about ten min.. Throw in tins of tomatoes bring to boil then reduce to simmer.. Put a lid on and lev for 15 min.. Throw in butter beans and continue to simmer for 5 more min with lid off... Serve with crusty bread

Bubbles

July 04, 2013, 10:18:53 AM #10 Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:22:20 PM by Bubbles
Here's mine. It includes (noooo!!) some wine, but it gives it a really nice flavour.

Ingredients

200-250g chorizo, sliced
2 red onions, chopped
1 small courgette, finely chopped
3 sticks celery, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
300ml red wine
500g tomato passata
400g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
4 tomatoes, quartered
2 tsp fennel seeds, coarsely ground
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

Heat a little olive oil in a large non-stick pot or casserole. Fry the chorizo until it has coloured slightly, then add the onion and fry until it is also coloured.
Fry the courgette, celery and garlic for 3 minutes then add 300ml of red wine. Reduce the red wine by half.
Now add the rest of the ingredients, apart from the parsley. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Bring to the boil then cover and simmer very gently for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Before serving, stir through the fresh parsley. Serve with some crusty bread to mop up the sauce.

Eoin

I got a nice bag of that Spanish paprika last year from one of the Spanish girls here, I use it to make a lot of gazpacho and I bring some in to her, she was very complimentary and despite me never having had the real thing I was able to reproduce it very well (according to her) from her basic recipe.

It really does make a difference having the right stuff.

christhebrewer

Any decent sausage is at least 1/3 fat. I've tasted sausages which claim "80% lean". Not worth eating. The fact is undeniable, Good food needs fat and salt. If you want to reduce your fat and salt intake it's simple. Don't eat so much! I'd rather eat one good sausage than two crap ones!
Just like beer!

DEMPSEY

For a quick snack using Chorizo sausage get a sharp knife and cut thin slices then gently and lightly toss them into your mouth.  :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

lordstilton

I like the sound of that bubbles.. I'll give it a try out next time