• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:17:50 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Chorizo

Started by admin, July 03, 2013, 10:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Phelan

The girlfriend arrived home last night from Madrid with a load of Chorizo and turrón. I might bring some to the next capital brewers meet if there is any left.  :D

Brew Log

Eoin

Quote from: shiny on July 08, 2013, 11:06:13 AM
The girlfriend arrived home last night from Madrid with a load of Chorizo and turrón. I might bring some to the next capital brewers meet if there is any left.  :D

The girlfriend comes back from a few days abroad and you get the sausage?

Shane Phelan

Brew Log

DEMPSEY

Funny how your mind thinks Eoin,was thinking much the same. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Eoin

Quote from: DEMPSEY on July 08, 2013, 01:01:17 PM
Funny how your mind thinks Eoin,was thinking much the same. :)

I knew you'd be around this one like a fly around a dogpile ;)

CB_Phil

Quote from: lordstilton on July 04, 2013, 09:43:30 AM
I have one with butter beans.. Really tasty
Chorizo and butter beans stew

Ingredients
250g chorizo chopped
3 cloves garlic finely chopoed
2 red onion finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tin butter bean drained

Fry off chorizo on medium heat till chorizo colours and releases it's oil.. Throw in onion and garlic and paprika and reduce head to a low heat and fry until onions soften about ten min.. Throw in tins of tomatoes bring to boil then reduce to simmer.. Put a lid on and lev for 15 min.. Throw in butter beans and continue to simmer for 5 more min with lid off... Serve with crusty bread

Late reply, up the walls, but cheers for that. Must give it a shot

CB_Phil

Quote from: Bubbles on July 04, 2013, 10:18:53 AM
Here's mine. It includes (noooo!!) some wine, but it gives it a really nice flavour.

Ingredients

200-250g chorizo, sliced
2 red onions, chopped
1 small courgette, finely chopped
3 sticks celery, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
300ml red wine
500g tomato passata
400g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
4 tomatoes, quartered
2 tsp fennel seeds, coarsely ground
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

Heat a little olive oil in a large non-stick pot or casserole. Fry the chorizo until it has coloured slightly, then add the onion and fry until it is also coloured.
Fry the courgette, celery and garlic for 3 minutes then add 300ml of red wine. Reduce the red wine by half.
Now add the rest of the ingredients, apart from the parsley. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Bring to the boil then cover and simmer very gently for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Before serving, stir through the fresh parsley. Serve with some crusty bread to mop up the sauce.

Cheers for that, little more work but will try bothor maybe a mix of

Eoin

Quote from: Il Tubo on July 03, 2013, 10:27:21 PM
WHY is it so fatty! Holy crap!

Back to this, render the chorizo at the start of cooking in a dry pan, it takes the fat out and then when you add your mirepoix or onions or whatever else you are adding to the base of the dish don't add any more oil, the flavoured red chorizo oil adds a delicious base.

As someone else said, animal fats are not the issue with cholesterol, we're well adapted to handle those, it's when you process fat that the problems arise.

christhebrewer

Jesus lads, do we actually like food more than beer now?

christhebrewer

I'm only messing!

Eoin

For me it's not an either or situation, I love food and I love beer. No choices need to be made.

Eoin

Quote from: lordstilton on July 04, 2013, 09:43:30 AM
I have one with butter beans.. Really tasty
Chorizo and butter beans stew

Ingredients
250g chorizo chopped
3 cloves garlic finely chopoed
2 red onion finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tin butter bean drained

Fry off chorizo on medium heat till chorizo colours and releases it's oil.. Throw in onion and garlic and paprika and reduce head to a low heat and fry until onions soften about ten min.. Throw in tins of tomatoes bring to boil then reduce to simmer.. Put a lid on and lev for 15 min.. Throw in butter beans and continue to simmer for 5 more min with lid off... Serve with crusty bread

I did a variant on this last night, I used fresh tomatoes as I was out of tins, took the white bit out of the centre and blitzed them very roughly. I also used a tin of white beans (polish shop) and a tin of kidney beans. I also have some good spanish paprika here and used that. It really is delicious and I can highly recommend it. I'm making some fresh bread now to have it for tea.

christhebrewer

Good chorizo in Dunnes at the moment. Cheap too! In a packet hanging with the prepacked stuff, not at the deli counter.

DEMPSEY

Came home last night and there was some mash potato left in the pot. Put the mash in a bowl and tossed in some real butter put in microwave for 2 minutes,cut up pieces of chorizo and mixed it all together with mash and put it in to the microwave for 1 minute. Great food for a beered belly. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us