• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 04:36:14 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

30th July Homebrew Tasting (W.J. Kavanaghs)

Started by Dr Jacoby, July 06, 2013, 09:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Phelan

Brew Log

Dr Jacoby

Just read the epic write up. Nice work Shane! It strikes the right balance between constructive criticism and praise.
Every little helps

Samael

..::Tomasz::..

Shane Phelan

Tomasz! Big thanks for taking all the photos on the night!
Brew Log

Cathal O D

Great write up Shane.  I can now recall all of the beers after reading it.

Samael

Quote from: shiny on August 21, 2013, 02:14:20 PM

Your welcome :) I will bring camera every time and make kind of documentary for our group.
..::Tomasz::..

Padraic

Quote from: Samael on August 21, 2013, 04:37:56 PM
Quote from: shiny on August 21, 2013, 02:14:20 PM

Your welcome :) I will bring camera every time and make kind of documentary for our group.

Thank you both! Great write up and pics!

fyodor

Nice work Shane! Taking all the previous posts into account I feel kinda guilty about the fact that I sat beside you all night, but thankfully you only put my positive comments into the mix... I think...
Can't wait until the next one...
Will someone brew my BOS please?

Shane Phelan

Aha don't worry about it, I wasn't really referring to anyone in particular and I was probably more of a culprit than anyone to be honest.

I've been told that the tastings come across as being overly serious and BJCP-esque to some and that its not the same level of craic as other tastings... so I'm trying to find the right balance where people get useful feedback on their beers but at the same time enjoy the night.

Being one of your first tastings with capital brewers, what did you think yourself and did you see anything that could be improved?
Brew Log

Boycott

Just to add my two cents, i felt that the tasting comments have been too harsh at a meeting i was at (and i was mooching)

I actually like some feedback good or negative but i felt people were searching for a negative rather than positives which would destroy certain peoples motivation to brew (which i hope is not what we want)

I think the super level of criticism should be left for judging commercial beers but if a home brewer asks then the truth should be told just that maybe positives should come first.

Eg great roastiness off your beer but if it was carbonated a little more it would be better etc

Also the beer was flowing very slow, i dont know about others but i can taste a beer in a few minutes i dont need half an hour for two mouthfulls.