• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 12:54:26 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brisket

Started by Metattron, July 12, 2013, 10:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metattron

Anyone tried bbqing a brisket.  Saw on YouTube the snake method for long cooking. Looks very easy so giving it a go this weekend. Think it will need 8-10 hours. Should be interesting.
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Dara

Let us know how you get on.  I've seen this a while back and thought about doing it but haven't had the time. Being trying to find a convienient way of doing a long slow cook for pulled pork (haven't tried this but really want to as I've had a few pulled pork sambos and they are nice). When i mention slow cook to my wife her eyes go up. I need to restore her fate in the BBQ. My most ambitious was an 8 hour leg of lamb which turned into 12 and my wife cooking two meals before we finaly got to eat it.  A buddy did the snake method on a weber grill (i've the same job) and said it worked well.  I'd have reservations though as when you start the coals you get a lot of smoke. Apparently a lot of the coals we get here have additives (for easy start, long burn etc.) that can impart a flavour on the meat. So I'd wonder if this would come out using that snake method.

Dara
drinking - Brown porters (plain/oak aged/vanilla)
conditioning - American Amber (Jamil's evil twin)
Fermenting - air

AdeFlesk

On the leg of lamb, get the butcher to bone it out and butterfly it , or even better do it your self,  so the meat all the way along is  2inches, then marinade in garlic, lemon juice, oregano , touch of cumin and olive oil.   Next day cook on bbq and will only take about an hour  turn one side on full have lid down and keep temp around 200.  Serve with Pitta bread oh and some beer :-)
I have only pot roasted brisket,  but i would imagine you would need to marinade it for quite a while before cooking in red wine , this should speed up the cooking in some way. 

lordstilton

You can do brisket in five hours using this method http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html.. The key to good brisket is a meat thermometer and trying to keep temp steady when cooking it

Metattron

7 hour cook today.  Well 5 hour cook and 2 hour rest.  Used the snake method and it worked well.  Temp stayed around 140C for the whole cook so I'd drop the number of coals for ribs to get the 120C for that.  Otherwise it went well.  The brisket I had was not the size the yanks cook so no need for longer.  I don't have a syringe so I didn't do any marinade injections.  Just gave it the same rub I use on my ribs and lobbed it in.  Brushed with beer every 45 mins or so. 2.5 hours on the smoke, then wrapped in tin foil for 2.5 hours.  Then took it of the bbq and left it wrapped in foil in the oven (not turned on) for 2 hours to rest.  Result was not bad.  There were two parts to the meat, the upper part still had a bit of fat but was tender.  The lower part was perfect.  Brisket sandwiches for lunch tomorrow!
In primary:

lordstilton

Lovely smoke ring.. Nice looking brisket

Dara

Had a go at the 'snake' method yesterday as you did - the way to go for a long cook I think. I got a collar of pork (the butcher had no shoulder) but it was perfect. Nice shape as well. It was more or less a block shape so it cooked nice an even all over.  Used a recipe from the Times from a couple of weeks ago for a rub and sauce (from some London resteraunt can't remember the name). Took around 6 hours for 2kg (5hrs on smoke then foiled for last hour) at about 125degC. Fell apart so easily that one of my kids (2years) kept grabbing fist fulls off the bone! Lovely stuff.
Dara
drinking - Brown porters (plain/oak aged/vanilla)
conditioning - American Amber (Jamil's evil twin)
Fermenting - air

IrishBeerSnob

Looks fantastic!
Did you put liquid in the tray?
Wayne Dunne

Fermenting - SMaSH Amarillo West Coast IPA
Conditioning -
Drinking-

http://www.irishbeersnob.com My Blog - Irish Beer Snob

Metattron

I just put water in the tray.  The steam helps maintain the temp I think.  Also catches fat dropping off the meat so easier cleanup.
In primary:

IrishBeerSnob

Great job, those weber kettles are very flexible.
Did you get your brisket from the butcher?
Wayne Dunne

Fermenting - SMaSH Amarillo West Coast IPA
Conditioning -
Drinking-

http://www.irishbeersnob.com My Blog - Irish Beer Snob

Metattron

Sainsburys. Impulse buy. Said to myself, "I can BBQ that".  8)
In primary:

LordEoin

"I can BBQ that". 4 powerful words! similar to "I can ferment that"  ;D