• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:52:14 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Craft brew & the Gourmet Burger Scene

Started by kgarr, July 25, 2013, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

Quote from: irish_goat on July 26, 2013, 11:22:58 AM
Quote from: Eoin on July 25, 2013, 05:37:17 PM
I don't class any of the Irish lagers myself, they're all using local hops and to me it just doesn't work and they end up tasting like an ale, certainly they don't have the subtleties of a German or Czech pils.

Local hops? There's 1 Irish beer that uses local hops.

Decent Irish lagers include Belfast Lager, White Gypsy Belgian Pils, Metalman Brau and 8 Degrees Barefoot.

For burger pairings it really depends on what kind of burger someone is eating. There's a big difference between a cheddar cheese burger and a smokey bacon, BBQ sauce burger with pineapple in it.

Pale ales work well but I'd not leave out a stout, especially if you are selling any spicy or chilli style burgers.

Metalman will install a tap if you can promise enough business. If they're going to be the only draught beer available you can guarantee they'll put a tap in.

Apologies, I mean ale style hops and not noble varieties, I should have qualified that a bit better.

irish_goat

Ah right, well there's.

Belfast Lager - Saaz
Hersbrucker - goes without saying
Metalman Brau - Tettnang and Saaz

Eoin

Quote from: irish_goat on July 26, 2013, 11:48:43 AM
Ah right, well there's.

Belfast Lager - Saaz
Hersbrucker - goes without saying
Metalman Brau - Tettnang and Saaz

Ok that's some for me to try because what I've tried thusfar has not endeared me to Irish lager and reminds me of harp :)

Bubbles

Quote from: Eoin on July 26, 2013, 01:19:42 PMOk that's some for me to try because what I've tried thusfar has not endeared me to Irish lager and reminds me of harp :)

Why exactly is Harp so frowned upon? Is it really that shit?

I haven't drank it for about 10 years. I was on a stag in the arsehole of nowhere and it was the only lager on tap, so I drank it all night. It wasn't that bad, as far as I can remember.  :-[

From memory... the "Beer and Cider In Ireland" book describes it as being a very authentic lager and apparently no expense was spared in its development, and authentic German yeast and hops. Is it just bland or what?

Eoin

I think the water treatment is off on Harp, I have heard before it was a German clone, but it was simply dreadful, awfully acidic and just not good. I have no idea why it does not work, but it doesn't.
I've yet to drink something from a brewery over here that replicates a Rothaus or a Spaten.......I'm into the really soft subtle stuff.

Padraic

Quote from: irish_goat on July 26, 2013, 11:22:58 AM
Quote from: Eoin on July 25, 2013, 05:37:17 PM
I don't class any of the Irish lagers myself, they're all using local hops and to me it just doesn't work and they end up tasting like an ale, certainly they don't have the subtleties of a German or Czech pils.

Local hops? There's 1 Irish beer that uses local hops.

Decent Irish lagers include Belfast Lager, White Gypsy Belgian Pils, Metalman Brau and 8 Degrees Barefoot.

For burger pairings it really depends on what kind of burger someone is eating. There's a big difference between a cheddar cheese burger and a smokey bacon, BBQ sauce burger with pineapple in it.

Pale ales work well but I'd not leave out a stout, especially if you are selling any spicy or chilli style burgers.

Metalman will install a tap if you can promise enough business. If they're going to be the only draught beer available you can guarantee they'll put a tap in.

Good points, I think with burgers you are better matching the toppings/sauce rather than trying to say this beer is a good burger beer.

I'd go metalman myself, one of the best beers around, and great with a burger with some salsa on it or something!

I will also offer my tasting services if you are short a taster!  ;D

Eoin

Oh yeah, I'd happily turn up at a tasting where you're testing beers against food for matches :)

Ciderhead

Quote from: Dara on July 26, 2013, 12:44:30 AM

I'll have to give them ago again to see if they taste as I remember.

Dara

Do, they have improved their process, I'd be interested in your view of taste v's description on the bottle as I feel they are not fully to description and there is a crossover.

Down in Cork soon and must remind myself about Longville

CB_Phil

Liking the sound of this place, out of the list, Dungarvan & Galway brewers, but what bout 8degrees, love their stuff & goes great w/burgers.
Why no stout thou? Doesnt have to be draft, Dungarvan do a cracking stout in bottles. Also if you could get seasonal brews in it would go down a treat!
best of luck w/the venture by the way