• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:11:01 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BBQ pulled pork: Dry Rub and Sauce recipe

Started by Dara, July 30, 2013, 11:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dara

Someone had asked about this a tasting night. Nice rub and sauce for pulled pork. I used this recipe when I did the snake bbq method (see another thread below this one). It's from a place in London called Pitt Cue and was in one of the Sunday papers a while back. I've tried a few other rubs and sauces when smoking meat on the bbq but this is class, a bit of hassle, but class.

Dry rub:
10g Fennel Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Coriander Seeds
100g Dark Brown Sugar
10g Garlic Powder
100g Salt - this is way too salty for me. I kept adding to taste. I used 30g which was still a bit too salty.
15g Smoked Paprika
30g Paprika
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Cayenne Powder

Not sure if this is entirely necessary but roast the whole spices in a dry frying pan until aromatic. Then grind them to a fairly course grind. The main base is the paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne and sugar. The others just add a bit more to it. This makes a lot of rub so you can keep it and use it for other stuff.

Lash the stuff on to your joint of meet. It's good on chicken aswell. It'll burn if you put the meat over direct heat because of the sugar so indirect heat only.

The sauce

The sauce is basically a gravy with some extreme pretentiousness. But it's excellent and goes really well with the rub.
250g of beef trimmings - ask the butcher for this. Didn't bother with this. According ot the recipe ask for 'dry aged' - this did come from the Sunday Times and i think if I asked my local butcher (as great as he is) for this he would have told me to f@ck off and stop annoying him.
1 pigs trotter (halved lenghtways) - again if the beef doesn't send the butcher over the edge this will. i used some black pudding and rashers in the fridge for this.
1 litre of beef stock - oxo cubes for me (sunday times may differ)
25g butter
100mL of medeira (some fortified sweet wine will do for this but the madeira seems to make a difference).
100ml of tomato ketchup - too much ketchup for me so I'd taste as you add this and leave it to the very end (this amount would nearly overpower everything above, a minor oversight by the Times).
3 schallots
2 tbsp of french mustard
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp tabasco
50mL cloudy apple juice - see through stuff just doesn't cut it for a gravy in the Sunday Times supplement.
25 mL of molasses

Brown off whatever meat trimmings you have in a pan. Then add the stock and reduce it down by half. In another pan fry off the schallots in butter until soft then add madeira and reduce a bit. Skim off the crap from the first pan and add the madeira/schallots to it. Mix the rest of the ingredients and add it in. Add whatever juices come from the joint of meat your cooking.  Sieve the sauce.

Pour the sauce over your shredded pork and put it in between two slices of bread (Sunday Times may differ).

Dara
drinking - Brown porters (plain/oak aged/vanilla)
conditioning - American Amber (Jamil's evil twin)
Fermenting - air

Ciderhead

we are fast becoming the food channel :D any mention of beer? cider vinegar doesn't count :)

Dara

Oh ya - Served with copious amounts of this
http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

Did an attempt of the 'Evil twin' recipe  - came out nice and went well with the pork.

The whole effort was to convince my wife that Homebrew was good and cooking something for 6-7 hours on a BBQ was good.

She agrees that in future I should continue doing both ;)
Fermenting - air

Ciderhead

Quote from: Dara on July 30, 2013, 11:51:48 PM
Oh ya - Served with copious amounts of this
http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

Did an attempt of the 'Evil twin' recipe  - came out nice and went well with the pork.

The whole effort was to convince my wife that Homebrew was good and cooking something for 6-7 hours on a BBQ was good.

She agrees that in future I should continue doing both ;)

Fair play  :)

BTW anyone have any recipes that include hops or a jus d'hop?

mr hoppy

Supposedly in Belgium (where else?) hop shoots are "considered to be a delicacy" and are served sauted in butter in the springtime. They also eat endives though, so go figure.

SlugTrap

You might have found it too salty if you were using normal salt; most dry rub recipes call for kosher or brining salt which has bigger, coarse grains half of which fall off before cooking.

Hope this helps.

Dara

@Slugtrap - hadn't thought about that. The recipe didn't specify the salt type. Still seems a crap load of salt though. I'm from a family that had almost outlawed salt in the kitchen when I was young.  Thankfully alcohol and homebrew were left as fair game.
Fermenting - air

Will_D

Hi Dara,

Just a great big North County Thank you for this recipe. Did it yesterday and it was fantastic. See here:

They all praised the Chef but hell I just followed what you had written!!

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4050.msg51782.html#msg51782

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Dara

Glad you liked it. Can't take credit for the recipe, like you I just followed the instructions. Looks like you had a great day.

Dara
Fermenting - air