• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 18, 2024, 04:48:47 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Gluten free beer

Started by Metattron, August 04, 2013, 12:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metattron

Anyone got a good gluten free beer recipe?
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

You can make gluten free beer using oat malt. This article gives you all the technical details: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.2011.tb00487.x/abstract

You need oat malt with its husk.
You need more oat malt than you would barley malt because the husk takes up more of the total mass. Weight for weight, you'll only get about 5/6ths of the sugars from oat as you would from barley. Maybe add sugar to make up the difference.
You need a stepped mash. The optimum mash profile is 45C, 62C, 72C then 78C.
You don't need any additional enzymes etc as it's all in the malt.

It's very light coloured.

I had trouble with my boiler cutting out. It might be wise to boil the hops up separately on the stove to ensure you get the bitterness you want.

Read about my experience here: http://kenanddot.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/100-oat-malt-beer/

IBD member

Ciderhead

DEMPSEY

Quote from: UpsidedownA (Andrew) on August 04, 2013, 06:11:27 PM
You can make gluten free beer using oat malt. This article gives you all the technical details: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.2011.tb00487.x/abstract

You need oat malt with its husk.
You need more oat malt than you would barley malt because the husk takes up more of the total mass. Weight for weight, you'll only get about 5/6ths of the sugars from oat as you would from barley. Maybe add sugar to make up the difference.
You need a stepped mash. The optimum mash profile is 45C, 62C, 72C then 78C.
You don't need any additional enzymes etc as it's all in the malt.

It's very light coloured.

I had trouble with my boiler cutting out. It might be wise to boil the hops up separately on the stove to ensure you get the bitterness you want.

Read about my experience here: http://kenanddot.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/100-oat-malt-beer/
How did the Beer turn out,was it drinkable :-\
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

It certainly was. It was really clear in the end too. The only problem was the lack of bitterness.
IBD member

DEMPSEY

Is there a test that be done to check if a beer is gluten free.

Jacob

delzep

Quote from: DEMPSEY on August 06, 2013, 01:04:46 PM
Is there a test that be done to check if a beer is gluten free.

yeah, but it probably invovles a trip to the hospital afterwards

Shane Phelan

I have added this topic as one of the sections for the wiki articles section. Its a topic that comes up frequently and a lot of people were asking about it at the maker fair. I have made one before but the result was a bit meh in my opinion, too thin (as a result of adding too much honey).
Brew Log

Metattron

I finally got round to making this at the weekend.  For 15L at 1.048 in the fermenter I used:

18L water
1.5kg White Sorghum Extract
330g Rice syrup
350g Treacle
7g Columbus at 60 minutes
10g Centennial at 30 minutes
10g Cascade at 5 minutes.
US-05 ale yeast

It certainly tastes like beer.  It did look quite cloudy though, but I think that clears out after fermentation.  I'll see in a few weeks how this turns out.
In primary:

DEMPSEY

I am planning to do one with 100% malt Oats so keep us posted about its taste and quality. Problem with Oats is they are not full of flavour like Malt Barley so it can turn out pretty bland from the research I have done so far. :-\

irish_goat

Quote from: DEMPSEY on September 30, 2013, 04:20:25 PM
I am planning to do one with 100% malt Oats so keep us posted about its taste and quality. Problem with Oats is they are not full of flavour like Malt Barley so it can turn out pretty bland from the research I have done so far. :-\

You could add fruits, honey and/or spices. Treat it like porridge basically, same flavour principles should apply. But yeah I'd say 100% oats will be pretty bland.

Metattron

Opened a bottle of my GFB tonight and it went down well.  There is a taste of treacle of it.  If I was doing it again I would reduce the treacle to 120g or so.  No head on it, but apart from that it looked like an amber ale, tasted like an amber ale and had a medium bodied mouth feel.  It is completely clear after a day in the fridge.  If I hadn't gone so heavy on the treacle it would probably be more like a pale ale.  In time the rest of the treacle may ferment out, it's been two weeks in the bottle and keg and has not fully carbed up yet, but not bad so far.  Two thumbs up.
In primary:

delzep

I only found out the other day that Satzenbrau is Gluten free

Metattron

I'd doubt that. I've also heard that Budweiser is gluten free, but its not.
In primary: