• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 01:02:22 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

New Smoker - nice Welding Project

Started by magnethead, August 14, 2013, 11:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnethead

Picked up a MIG welder a few months ago and was waiting for a bit of time to make a smoker......I did it purely to learn welding but now I guess I'll have to get into smoking some food ;p Some good recipes in this part of the forum......I'll see if I can fit a live pig in this yoke.

Yes, that is a Wheelie bin axle holding everything up.....They're very strong  :P

Eoin

Nice one, one thing I'd consider, it would take some modding however, would be to make it into a cold smoker as well.

You can do this by detaching the smoke box and attaching it via extendable tubing so it can be up close to the main body or extended out to allow the smoke to cool and cold smoke.

You can use ducting such as that on the bottom of the page on the website below.

http://www.getupandgrow.ie/shop/Fans___Filters.html

It's cool as it is by the way, just throwing an idea at you that will make the thing more versatile and would not entail too much modding from where you are at now.

magnethead

Fairplay, I guess you could cold smoke cheese too that way...but sure , would a really small fire, 3 or four coals in the firebox not do the job, given that the Smoke chamber is 300 Litres in size?

Eoin

Quote from: magnethead on August 14, 2013, 12:41:31 PM

Fairplay, I guess you could cold smoke cheese too that way...but sure , would a really small fire, 3 or four coals in the firebox not do the job, given that the Smoke chamber is 300 Litres in size?

Yeah, I suppose play about with it.

Not only for cheeses by the way, the option would be there for your own smoked salmon etc with cold smoking.

I'm only going on looking at yours which reminds me of similar professional smokers (complement by the way) and seeing that you could do the same and kill two birds with one stone, play about with it anyway, who knows, that might work fine. The only thing I suspect is that it would not produce enough smoke because of the small fuel source.

Good luck with it and show us picrtures of the first pork shoulder that you do. :)

magnethead

I see what you mean, Thanks......I'll post up some Pics when it's Done, Still haven't put the high temp silicone gasket aruond the door to seal it. Also I'm going to paint the whole thing black with some high temp paint....

That was a good tip about the cold smoking, I don't mind moding (any excuse for more welding) the thing to get that working too.....Maybe a seperate port from the side...I was very happy with the butterfly valve in the smoke stack......a longer stack creates more draw so I needed to control that.

Anyway, probably back in  a couple of weeks with the Finished article

Garry

I don't know anything about smokers but I know a thing or two about welding. You're doing it right  :)

For your next challenge you could convert the S2000 to a coupe  :P

magnethead

S2000 belongs to the brother  ::)

I was thinking some kinda deck warmer out of a Calor Gas bottle for the next project  ;D

Only when I've mastered it will I start welding my Brewery together...Stainless torpedos into a nice stainless pot....if that can be MIG'd.....probably a TIG job.

Garry

Quote from: magnethead on August 14, 2013, 02:33:46 PM

Only when I've mastered it will I start welding my Brewery together...Stainless torpedos into a nice stainless pot....if that can be MIG'd.....probably a TIG job.

Stainless steel can be MIG welded. You'll need to get some stainless steel wire and use argon gas. Try it on a few pieces of scrap first before burning a hole in your pot  :o

TIG would be better though but that's more expense? It's very clean and much easier to weld light materials.

lordstilton

Quick question..how are you going to control the temp...I don't see any adjustable vents

alealex

Quote from: magnethead on August 14, 2013, 02:33:46 PM

I was thinking some kinda deck warmer out of a Calor Gas bottle for the next project  ;D

Solid heavy smoker! can't wait to see it finished.
For your patio heater project: Rocket Stove looks handy and very useful, clean smoke and fuel eficient  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBq0L126mmM

Bad day brewing is better than good day working.

magnethead

QuoteQuick question..how are you going to control the temp...I don't see any adjustable vents

I'm glad you asked Lordstilton ;p .....If you look at the second pic above, you'll notice a little handle on the smoke stack (Chimney)

but here's some close ups.....

I'll post some intake pics when I finsihed the firebox door, but basically I'll control the air going in with a vent on the Firebox and the smoke leaving with this butterfly valve

Gary, I have some stainless wire and Argon, so I'll go with your "testing" idea first :) ....I picked up some scrap stainless from O'Reillys in Blanch.

Will_D

You can MIG stainless with CO2 - it just gives a blackened look to the bead.

Argon Mix is best for SS. Pure Argon is for TIG but may be better than CO2 for SS
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

magnethead

Thanks Will, I'm no welding expert but apparantly, mixing Co2 and Stainless is gauranteed to give you rust....I've actually seen Stainless with rusty weld beeds and was wondering what that was about. Maybe they used mild steel filler wire  ???

QuoteThe problem is with the higher concentration of CO2. Carbon on stainless is bad. Even carbon steel rubbing against stainless will cause corrosion. In fact, cutting stainless with a high carbon steel drill bit will cause rust! Right around 5% CO2 is the maximum you want with short circuit, solid wire.
from
http://weldingweb.com/archive/index.php/t-49261.html

Here are some finished pictures of the Smoker, She runs just lovely, finshd reading some big chunky books on smoking meat, so shuold be getting into it fairly soon

DEMPSEY

On the last picture you have a valve with a nipple,Cad é seo :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us