• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:19:14 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mussels in garlic white wine

Started by LordEoin, August 19, 2013, 08:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

August 19, 2013, 08:57:54 PM Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:51:03 PM by LordEoin

There seems to be an abundence of cheap, high quality mussels in the shops at the moment, so a good time for some proper light summer food!

This recipe is easy peasy and works well with pretty much any white or rosé wine.
I used a homebrewed sweet cranberry wine and it was fantastic.

You'll need :

• fresh mussels - i got a pretty big tray from supervalu for €2 - Don't use the ones that are pre-cooked and vacuum packed.
  • an onion
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 2 glasses of white wine
  • spoon of real butter (or some oil)
  • parsley (optional)
Tap all of the mussels and if they don't close they're dead. Dump any ones that are dead
Chop the onion and garlic (nice and small), chop the parsley fine.
Melt and heat the butter in a saucepan, add the onions and garlic and cook til they sweat and get softer.
Add the wine and bring it to a boil.
Drop the Mussels in, cover and cook for 3 minutes, shaking/mixing them up occasionally.
Remove from the heat, add the parsley.
The mussels should all be open by now. Dump any ones that didn't open.
Transfer Mussels, shell and all, to a big bowl. Pour the garlic wine mix over them and tuck in.
Some chunky dipping bread is nice to have too!

Shane Phelan

I feel like a peasant  with the quality of food people are posting up here every week!
Brew Log

LordEoin

Well peasant, go to supervalu with your €2 and eat like a lord for a day!  ;D

DEMPSEY

We have a brand new Supervalue here in Celbridge so will drop down tomorrow to check it out. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

LordEoin

Do! I was always a little wary of mussels from the supermarket, but out of the whole tray only 2 were dead. That's really good going.
From alive to fully cooked within 3 minutes. You can't get any fresher than that  ;D

DEMPSEY

My Daughter would have no problem trying them but as for my Wife and Son they are wimps when it comes to food.they don't read here :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Garry

Great stuff Eoin  :)

I love mussels but I only get a chance to try them when I'm out because the rest of the family won't touch them. It's a shame because the restaurants charge through the nose for them and they are so cheap in the shops.

LordEoin

I'm the same, SWMBO hates them, but that just gave me an excuse to eat them all myself!

Will_D

Made these last night and also a few oysters for starters Delicious.

Cost?

Kilo of Mussels and 4 oysres a fiver. Cant beat that!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing