• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:09:15 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Honey Prices

Started by Will_D, August 22, 2013, 07:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

@Ciderhead: Look away now!

I think someone asked me to check the price of honey in Musgraves C&C:

Boyne Valley:  3.7 Kgs for €26.55 ( assume no Vat )

Healey's: 3.7 Kgs for €21.49
Rowse:    3.7 Kgs for €21.49

All 3 state "blend of EU and none EU honey"
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

Potential group buy?

I would like to try my hand at mead one of these days.
IBD member

Eoin

I've made some nice meads, went down a bomb at an ICB tasting a few years back. I'd be into a group buy if one was to go ahead in a couple of months. This GB lark makes it too easy to part with cash.........

Sent using a complex system of semaphore and ninjas.

irish_goat

If you're buying from Musgraves you'll not get any discount doing a group buy.

You'd need to go direct to honey suppliers/distributors if you wanted cheaper.

Eoin

I've sent an email enquiry to someone, I'll come back to the thread when I've done some research on prices and availability, unless someone already has those details?

Ciderhead

What are you looking foe quality wise.
1 lb of Irish honey is 6 or 4 wholesale, commercial stuff coming in from Central Europe or Argentina is about 1-2. Shite coming in for China is 50c or cheaper.

Eoin

I'd personally be into top quality. I've used Lidl before.... I'd like something better. A specific type such as Apple blossom could bring a lot to the party.

Damien M

Eh! Irish Homebrew Club Irish Honey! . Accept no substitute.

Ciderhead

Ok if you want the real deal like the stuff that my girls gave me this year yourself along to this event

Dublin honey show
When:
Sat, Nov 2, 2013 10:30 AM - Sat, Nov 2, 2013 4:00 PM
Where:
Christ Church Rathgar

It sells out early, 1pm last year.

My problem is that I have 5 times more folks looking for it than honey :(

Sent from my divining rod v2.0

Will_D

Sounds interesting!

When you say "sells out" do you mean that the exihibitors have no honey left for sale or what?

What is the format of the show? Exibition, Talks, Equipment, Honey for sale, Beeswax candles etc etc??
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

it was €2 entry into church hall, 1 seller typically 3-4 hundred pounds of honey, including heather honey which is 4 for a small pot (Its a bitch to process but tastes lovely), 40 pensioners with tartan drag behind shopping trolleys, it all gets very messy when the wooden walking sticks come out, btw they all have new hips, the sticks are only for pointing and tactical manoeuvres ???.

Damien M

Looking good CH! The year turned out better than expected, my ladies gave me 7 supers, fully loaded. Only starting to extract so will post a pic when jared!!   

irish_goat

There's a beekeeper's gathering on in Derry this month as well if anyone is interested.

http://www.cityofculture2013.com/event/the-beekeepers-gathering-honey-show/

Eugene O'Brien

For those interested....http://www.southtippbees.com/honeyshow.htm
This year's Clonmel Honey Show takes place on September 21st/22nd. 
Show is open to the public on Sunday 22nd 2pm - 4 pm.  Learn how honey is judged, there will be a talk on this subject.  We will have a flower display, crafts and equipment suppliers on-site. Something for everyone including a demonstration hive of bees and honey for sale.   Why not exhibit your products or if you don't feel up the competition just come along on Sunday 22nd and soak up the atmosphere and meet our friendly beekeepers.  Something for everyone and all welcome.
The Clonmel Honey Show is run each year in September and attracts a very large entry. It offers a wide range of classes covering various topics such as honey in all its forms, wax and wax products, mead and wine, cakes and photography.

This year's Honey Show will be held on 21st/22nd of September in the Central Technical College, The Mall, Clonmel

Leann ull

November 04, 2016, 11:58:43 AM #14 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:16:01 PM by CH
Bump this event is on this sat in Rathgar for anybody looking for honey from Irish beekeepers in Dublin. They sell it by the jar for 6€ if memory serves they also have heather honey.
All sorts or weird honey and wax products there
Not really suitable for is homebrewers as it's too expensive but certainly if you want to buy auntie Mary something nice for Christmas