• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 01:25:44 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

forget Tesco....eat real food

Started by brenmurph, September 04, 2013, 02:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

Heres a few pics I want to post, just because as some of ye know my profession is nutrition and health. I'm passionate about exercise, nutrition and stating healthy and  for a living I arm people with the knowledge and tools to reverse health conditions and live life as a healthy active 'full of life' individual.

Many of you wont give a shit about food quality and cant see the relationship between food and health ( both long-term and short-term), however I know there are tons of you who have health conditions, on medications and could do with generally increasing well-being and energy levels.

I'd like to see this section of the forum being a lot busier simply because of the above and because beer, wine and cider should be ( and historically was) consumed with food as a healthy part of the diet.

I'm glad to answer questions posted on this section re food, nutrition and health, in the meantime have a look at my lunch from my garden with the exception of the egg from tesco which I put there for comparison.

6 organic free range eggs from Tesco 2 euros 29 cent

6 prize-hen fully organic and fully free range ( they come and go where they like as they like) from Ralph Sherwood up the road cost TWO EUROS
Spot the Tesco one in the pics.............and just in case you thought I was biased...both eggs 70 grams, both boiled together, both peeled and both cut in half and put on plate

Eoin

I think a lot here, being the self-sufficient types, are aware of the importance of diet, it's always good to have an expert on hand though.

re: eggs, no contest, free-range every time, my only issue is that I have an albumen sensitivity and have issues eating eggs as I like them, which is a little runny (baveuse) when it's an omelet

brenmurph

September 04, 2013, 03:00:45 PM #2 Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:13:18 PM by brenmurph
The crap lookin egg in the pics are tesco organic free range on de left ;) and for those that are not as well informed re food quality, there is something dreadfully wrong with the chicken that laid the eggs on the left....On the right, the egg reflects the quality of the chicken that laid it, the quality of its food source ( bugs and grubs and seeds and so on) and only happy chickend or quails lay eggs like that :)

This current topic relates to pretty much every other aspect of the food industry as anyone who has ever visited a commercial chicken or pig farm could testify.

Eoin

Quote from: brenmurph on September 04, 2013, 03:00:45 PM
The crap lookin egg in the pics are tesco organic free range on de left ;)

Yeah I didn't need a map to find them ;)

irish_goat

My parents keep hens and the eggs out of them are fantastic, there's times I've gone cooked them and they're still warm and all.

Eoin

I have an eglu and hope to use it someday soon, not had a chance yet as I don't see us staying much longer where we live now.

brenmurph

happy quails lay eggs.......lots of them....all year.....and we too eat them warm :D  not the quails that is...dat would'nt make economical sense :)

brenmurph

say a prayer for our 2 friends that got wasp stings and died last week, poor bashters, and they were laying like a gud thing :(

brenmurph

and heres the fresh quail egg delicately cooked

Greg2013

I actually have my own free range little flock of Light Sussex, 5 hens one rooster, and if ya didn't watch them they would be in your earhole looking for food ;D I have 2-3 eggs every morning and it keeps me going all day. Feed them some layers pellets and whole grains such as oats or barley(not the beer stuff). ::)
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

irish_goat

You're grand to give them spent grain just make sure you feed them it as soon as you've finished mashing as it goes sour very quickly.

brenmurph

my hens love a little bit of light malted barley and mixed seeds. mainly layers pellets and some vegetables

they enjoy salad leaves and green peppers :)

RichC

Quote from: Il Tubo on September 04, 2013, 08:23:49 PM
Tesco?

Tesco's only rich people!
:):)
I think your average homebrewer is quite savvy about food quality!