• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:20:06 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Rosemary & Pepper Venison/Beef with Red Wine Sauce

Started by LordEoin, September 13, 2013, 09:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

September 13, 2013, 09:39:05 PM Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:56:41 PM by LordEoin

This is a very easy, fast and delicious meal. You'll have the whole thing made in 30 minutes :)
Even SWMBO loved it and she's very picky about trying new things.

The wine I used was a homebrewed elderberry wine from 2011 which sadly passed its prime.
The venison was a happy wild deer until it got a bullet and ended up in my freezer in little pieces.
Any nice lump of beef from the butcher or Lidl will do fine too
The veg and herbs came from my garden
Total cost: €0.00 (apart from a bit of salt, pepper, oil and butter and flour)
Even if you don't have the ingredients, it's still only a few euro per person :)

Ingredients:
1lb venison/beef
3 twigs of Rosemary
2 glasses of red wine
teaspoon of Black Pepper
teaspoon of salt
4 tablespoon of flour
4 tablespoon of butter
vegetable oil
Potatoes (or whatever veg you want)

Preheat the oven (and a tray) to 200C
finely chop the leaves from 2 twigs of rosemary and mix it with a few spoons of vegetable oil, a teaspoon of black pepper and a pinch of salt
If your venison has skin, score it. Rub the rosemary/pepper/oil mix into the meat. Get it right in there.

Start your vegetables.

Put a heavy frying pan on the hob with a little oil, and heat it up very hot.
Drop the venison in and sear all sides (and the ends). About a minute per side will do it.
Once it's all browned, fire it into the oven. DON'T CLEAN THE FRYING PAN!!
It'll take about 12 minutes to cook rare, 16 to medium and juicy with some nice pink in the meat.

While the meat is roasting, time to make the sauce.
Pour a glass of wine into the dirty pan and mix it up to get the meat juice, herbs, oil and wine all mingling.
Add the rest of the wine and boil it all for a minute or 2.
In a separate pan, melt the butter and mix in the flour.
Add this butter/flour mix to your sauce bit by bit, mixing continuously until you get a nice pouring consistency.
Salt to taste.

Once the meat is done, put it in a chopping board and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Slice diagonally.
Set up your veg and neat on your plate, drip any meat juice over the venison, add your sauce and top with the rest of the rosemary.

Enjoy!

Ciderhead

Looks delish
Glad you got a use from vino

Sent from my Fukushima Daiichi Geiger counter

LordEoin

It could have been yours CiderHead, it could have been all yours...  ;D

nigel_c

Its hard to get venison let alone good venison anywhere. Its one cut that it comes down to who you know.
I was put off venison for years because of one fecker of a supplier who used to supply venison to a shop i worked in.
We worked on a sale or return basis with him and he went on 3 weeks hols so we had a pile of well out of date venison packed away for him to take back. Me being a first year apprentice was sent to check them and nearly died with the bang off it.  "Open that packet and see if its alright" Put me right off it but time heals all wounds and am always on the look out for it now.