• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 09:46:35 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Club competition - W J Kavanagh's - September 24th

Started by Shane Phelan, September 17, 2013, 12:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Phelan

Brew Log

Shane Phelan

Overall a great night last night with a very high standard of beer giving the challenging constraints. Thanks to all the judges, I think there were 9 or 10 in total and our two stewards Padraic and Damien who kept the show on the road.

Top 3:

1st - Rossa (352 Points) - Bramling Cross Beer
2nd - Cathal O D (345 Points) - Wit Beer
3rd - Slugtrap (320 Points) - Weiss Beer

Judging was pretty consistent and I don't think there is any doubt that the best beers won on the night. Things were very close for 3rd place!

Scores are attached if someone wants to look at or play around with them.
Brew Log

Hop Bomb

On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Dunkel

Looks like a good way of judging - the number of judges mitigated the varying scores given by each judge for the same beer. Interesting to see the same beer receiving such widely different scores! Ideally on the graph all lines should be relatively flat, and most of them are.

Shane Phelan

I registered all the beers and then Padraic/Damien served them in pitchers, poured behind the bar, in their own random order. The pitcher meant that no one could identify their own bottle and the lads poured it in very gently to maintain as much carbonation as possible with they did a great job of doing.

When we do the next club competition there isn't much I would change to be honest, it ran smoothly on the night and with everyone judging it worked out very fair and a bit of craic.  :)
Brew Log

Dr Jacoby

Big thanks to Shiny for doing the bulk of the work to organize everything. It went super smoothly and as he mentioned above the best beers finished top. I don't think there's anything that needs to be changed for future comps, except maybe tailoring the scoring system to whatever theme we choose.

I have to say I was blown away by the standard last night. Some really excellent beers on display with very few off flavours. Can't wait for the next comp (winter stout anyone :)!
Every little helps

Shane Phelan

I will get the photos off Tomasz later. I think he is in work at the moment.
Brew Log

Shane Phelan

Brew Log

Cathal O D

Good pictures Tomasz. It was a good night. Well done Rossa and Thanks to Shane for  organising the score sheets etc.

Shane Phelan

Brew Log

Rossa

Is that link working properly or is it just my phone....it says 0kb file size.

Shane Phelan

Yeah it mustn't work due to your phone, works fine on the PC.

Here is a direct link to the file.
Brew Log

Samael

Quote from: shiny on September 26, 2013, 04:41:22 PM(Thanks again Tomasz for taking the pics!)
Quote from: Cathal O D on September 27, 2013, 09:53:21 AM
Good pictures Tomasz.

Your welcome lads :) it's a big pleasure for me to make photos during the meeting.So enjoy :) c[]
..::Tomasz::..