• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 22, 2024, 08:54:42 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Kwik Klear Finings.

Started by Greg2013, October 26, 2013, 04:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

People on here seem to have got it cheap to the UK so I'm hopeful. http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=989&f=1

Greg2013

Quote from: irish_goat on October 28, 2013, 10:30:53 AM
People on here seem to have got it cheap to the UK so I'm hopeful. http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=989&f=1

Read that cheers, sorry goat(name????) i re read your earlier post and saw that you had emailed for a quote, thanks for that and please keep us updated. Goat i think it may be worth while starting a separate thread for this as i have an interest in finding out more /
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

irish_goat

Just want to double check here, can you still bottle condition ok after using Sparkolloid?

Greg2013

Quote from: irish_goat on October 28, 2013, 03:43:50 PM
Just want to double check here, can you still bottle condition ok after using Sparkolloid?

At a guess i would say no. Anything that drops out that much yeast will not leave enough to carb effectively IMHO. I stand open to correction though.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Eoin

Quote from: Greg2013 on October 28, 2013, 03:45:51 PM
Quote from: irish_goat on October 28, 2013, 03:43:50 PM

At a guess i would say no. Anything that drops out that much yeast will not leave enough to carb effectively IMHO. I stand open to correction though.

I'd say you'd get there but it'd take the guts of 8 weeks to carbonate.

Sent from my HTC One

Parrot

I buy my Sparkolloid from Rick Morris at Brewhaus in Texas and my last buy was 4lbs and shipping cost me USD30 on top of the pack price. That lot will last me about two years ;)

Anyone interested I'd be happy to provide a couple of samples to try out yourselves. PM me if you want to try it and I'll post you some. 6 X 20g samples available so first come first served.

Parrot

Greg2013

LordEoin

i wonder if the bentonite is just better at dropping stuff out or if it was something specific in the tea-wine that quickclear couldn't bind to.

irish_goat

Quote from: Parrot on October 29, 2013, 03:29:11 PM
I buy my Sparkolloid from Rick Morris at Brewhaus in Texas and my last buy was 4lbs and shipping cost me USD30 on top of the pack price. That lot will last me about two years ;)

Anyone interested I'd be happy to provide a couple of samples to try out yourselves. PM me if you want to try it and I'll post you some. 6 X 20g samples available so first come first served.

Parrot

Have you tried bottle conditioning with the stuff?

Would it be possible to add it to the bottling bucket and let it all settle out in the bucket? Where presumably there will still then be enough yeast to carbonate it.

Greg2013

Quote from: LordEoin on October 30, 2013, 05:07:40 AM
i wonder if the bentonite is just better at dropping stuff out or if it was something specific in the tea-wine that quickclear couldn't bind to.

Thinking on it this morning i believe you are correct LE, This was a mish- mash tea wine thrown together as an experiment. TBH the bentonite although it has dropped out a lot has still not cleared the tea wine completely. What i plan to do at some stage is a side by side comparison between the two on a split batch, although not at the moment. ;D

Parrot

No takers for the samples! Back in the pack they go.

I've never tried bottle conditioning. I only use kegs and mostly use Sparkolloid for wines anyway but it does work for both.

Parrot

DEMPSEY

Here I must have missed this,I'll have some please. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

Have brewed a Lager using Saflager W-34/70 yeast. After 17 days it is finished fermenting so today have boiled 500ml water and added 10grm's of sparkolloid,stirred it for 3 minutes until I made a paste mixture then gently stirred my Fermented beer and added it as is, hot.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

johnrm

I was at the beach over the summer, picked up some seaweed (carrageenan) and dried it.
Added about a teaspoon 10 mins before end of boil.
Doing a Proper Job clone which ended up a bit darker than it should be, but excellent clarity.

LordEoin

Yup, it's what Irish Moss is made from.
Also great boiled with lemons, oranges, water, sugar, cloves for nuking a cold.