• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 04, 2024, 02:37:58 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Making Honey

Started by LordEoin, October 27, 2013, 10:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

I want to start making my own honey, and I know there are a few folks on here that already have a few hives.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to start without a huge initial cost.

To start:
  • What's the cheapest decent starter setup?[/*]
  • Where do you get bees?[/*]

Ciderhead

Do a search of NHC forum under FIBKA

Greg2013

Quote from: LordEoin on October 27, 2013, 10:16:20 AM
I want to start making my own honey

The bees might object ?  :P
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

johnrm

I'm involved in Midleton Tidy Towns. One part of this is a Community Garden, we're considering putting in beehives here. There may be training etc. Involved in this, ask very loose right now though.

Eugene O'Brien

You can't make honey! Only bees can.
Join your local club, do a course, buy at least one hive.

Now comes the hard part! Buy a nucleus or 2 of bees from your friendly course instructor or on donedeal. You will have to book your bees in advance as they can sell out very quickly in early summer.
Expect to pay €100-€250 for each hive and €150 for the bees. You really need to have 2 hives so that if you lose one you still have something to work with.
Beekeeping is the only hobby where if you make one mistake you can lose everything!
Having said that it is really great just watching them and you might just get some honey as well.
Best of luck.
Euge

LordEoin

I can make honey! I just have to act like a bee.
I'm bigger, so i'll make more honey.

Searching FIBKA brings me back to this thread.

I'll google courses etc, cheers

johnrm

I'm involved and Midleton Tidy Towns, s party of the Community Garden project there ess talks about bee hives. All very fluid at this point, I'll let you know of any developments.

LordEoin