• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:00:22 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Capital ideas

Started by Rossa, October 31, 2013, 11:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Phelan

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on November 13, 2013, 11:22:11 AM
Go with multiple elements. I sometimes get cut outs in my kettle when wort scorches onto the element. Would love to have a backup element when that happens. Just gives lots more options really.

That element is so large that it should never cut out or scorch the sides of the bag Eoin has offered.
Brew Log

Eoin

If you start with a bag you can move on to greater things... Or not. I'll hopefully enter a few comps this year and raise the profile of BIAB a bit, it still appears that some people see it as some kind of staging house or poor cousin.

Sent from my HTC One

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: shiny on November 13, 2013, 01:42:54 PM
That element is so large that it should never cut out or scorch the sides of the bag Eoin has offered.

Will take your word for it. I just have visions, of a fancy brew day (doing an extended boil, to replicate Old Ale characteristics, or wort caramelisation) going pear shaped because of the single element cutting out.

Beginning to *like* redundancy a lot, especially as I talk to more brewers who are on bigger kit, sharing horror stories.

Eoin

Depends on the size of your boiler, to maintain a proper rolling boil on my 70l boiler I need to run both elements that's 2×3kw elements. If I run only one I could still get it done, but not with the required good rolling boil. Redundancy is good, I think my elements are the same as you would find in an immersion system, fitted by Clive in Brupaks to a Brouwland tank.

Sent from my HTC One

TheSumOfAllBeers

Talked to a couple of other BIABers at our clubs brewing festival last weekend, and there was a bit of discussion about version 2.0 equipment, or what they would do differently to their current kit. Most favoured more elements than they needed, and there was good discussion on fixing them into an easily removable plate for convenient cleaning and replacement after the brewday.

When one guy started to get excited about the potential of making them hot-swappable (i.e. replacing elements during a boil), .... well we decided at that point to walk away from the barleywine ... ;)

Rossa

Could we make a super duper wort chiller for nothing?

Shane Phelan

If we got a length of copper, TOG would definitely have a means of bending it.
Brew Log

Rossa

Maybe make a manifold too or go the biab or both. It means we can demo both at the same time. Wort chiller or plate chiller are fairly essential.

Shane Phelan

I see no reason why we can't do both.

TT

Brew Log

Eoin

Quickest route to market with minimal investment is why I suggested it.

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

Plus a very small footprint in the TOG.

Shane Phelan

I'm sold on the BIAB idea for TOG anyway, Rossa if you give Eoin the pot dimensions it commits us to making this unit. We need that commitment!
Brew Log

Eoin

Even if not a commitment , it gives you options

Brew_Diva

Great idea to have the equipment at TOG, Rossa... I'm getting my equipment soon, probably have it all together for early next week, but still without a car, its tricky to get it all down there if I wanted to brew on a brewday, and I do want to brew on the brew days sometimes!!

Would also be up for getting a Capital Brewers t-shirt, fantastic!!

Shebeen Head Brewer

There's an extension being built at home at the moment so I'd be quite willing to store my 20L brew in the bag system there if the space isn't available it's no water off back.