• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 07:48:40 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Capital ideas

Started by Rossa, October 31, 2013, 11:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossa

Quote from: Shebeen Head Brewer on November 17, 2013, 04:26:33 PM
There's an extension being built at home at the moment so I'd be quite willing to store my 20L brew in the bag system there if the space isn't available it's no water off back.

Generous offer. Might be just what we need before we can get the  gear in place.

brenmurph

@ Rossa
Who is Geoff and Barry  mentioned in an earlier post?

irish_goat

Quote from: brenmurph on December 03, 2013, 10:09:24 AM
@ Rossa
Who is Geoff and Barry  mentioned in an earlier post?

Geoff is the owner of 57 The Headline (formerly of the B&C) and Barry is the manager(I think?) from Farringtons.

brenmurph

ah cool, do ye would they be interested in allowing brewing talks and kit brewing demos upstairs during off peak times?

irish_goat

They'll let you do anything as long as you're buying pints.  :P

brenmurph

Treat maybe someone can pm some contact details please? I'm writing / producing some professional brewing courses / workshops and looking for a venue in Dublin ideally a fixed home suitable for professional quality, presentations and demonstrations
What about Tog, I hear they have a classroom? wanna get to the next brewday there to have a look at the place, seems theres good vibe and feedback.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: shiny on November 13, 2013, 06:17:33 PM
If we got a length of copper, TOG would definitely have a means of bending it.

As a matter of interest did anyone do this? I have lengths of copper pipe possibly not long enough for the job but would need someone with the necessary tools to do it.  Some pipe benders only do 90 degree bends, there's a sort of a long spring you can use for curves though I think.

Shanna

Quote from: cruiscinlan on August 27, 2014, 11:51:37 PM

As a matter of interest did anyone do this? I have lengths of copper pipe possibly not long enough for the job but would need someone with the necessary tools to do it.  Some pipe benders only do 90 degree bends, there's a sort of a long spring you can use for curves though I think.
Quote from: cruiscinlan on August 27, 2014, 11:51:37 PM

Hi there,

With say 10mm copper coiled tubing it should be straight forward to bend. The tubing I have in mind is usually sold preinsulated and you can strip it off fairly easily. Just use a solid container to act as a surface to wind the copper tubing around. I created my chiller using this method. Don't worry about having to use pipe benders to create 90 degree bends. Cut the pipe and use a 90 degree elbow bend. The bends have to be soldered to secure them but this is not difficult. What you will need is flux, lead free (basically tin) solder, a blow torch, an elbow, sand paper and practice. I used the following video on youtube to create my chiller - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8EolKTDZUQ

Woodies has the elbows - see the following for an example http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/solder-fittings-elbow/12714/6.0.0.17#.U_5kM1RdWiU just make sure you get the right size for the tubing you have.

Most builder/plumber supplies should have them also. I would guess that Tog would have most if not all of the parts/tools to do a good job on this.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

cruiscinlan

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on October 31, 2013, 03:00:39 PM

I am thinking of the coolant requirements. Plate chillers are pretty efficient on coolant by comparison with ICs and such, but they are still really wasteful on water. I have a real issue with the waste of water, whether I am personally metered or not.

Its a personal thing - I would prefer that the majority of water I use in brewing ends up in the beer.

I haven't been along to Tóg as yet, did you ever solve the water issue?  Apart from just leaving a tub of wort outside in colder months, one thing I've considered is a submersible pump that would recycle water from a rainwater butt or other source of non mains water.  Has anyone used a similar set-up?

Any recommendations for (cheap) stainless steel welders in Dublin?  This would be for converting a stockpot to mash tun.

Rossa

I do the water butt chilling. Works a treat.

Shanna

Quote from: cruiscinlan on September 18, 2014, 06:58:59 PM
Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on October 31, 2013, 03:00:39 PM

I am thinking of the coolant requirements. Plate chillers are pretty efficient on coolant by comparison with ICs and such, but they are still really wasteful on water. I have a real issue with the waste of water, whether I am personally metered or not.

Its a personal thing - I would prefer that the majority of water I use in brewing ends up in the beer.

I haven't been along to Tóg as yet, did you ever solve the water issue?  Apart from just leaving a tub of wort outside in colder months, one thing I've considered is a submersible pump that would recycle water from a rainwater butt or other source of non mains water.  Has anyone used a similar set-up?

Any recommendations for (cheap) stainless steel welders in Dublin?  This would be for converting a stockpot to mash tun.
You can use compression fittings instead of welding. Use a qmax cutter to make a good clean hole.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Vermelho

I just built a counterflow chiller today and would be happy to build another one for Tog if needed? Also no need for pipe benders once you have a solid surface to wrap around(corny, gas bottle etc.).

Shane Phelan

Hingo has kindly donated his boiler to TOG so that brings the equipment list to:

1* 33L Insulated boil kettle
1* 33L Fermenter (Includes bung/Bubbler)
2* 5L Demijohn's (Includes bung/bubbler)
Brew Log

beerfly

i have a mash tun to add to the list

Rossa

I've a couple of buckets I can donate.