• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:37:16 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Oat flakes (poridge)

Started by Dara, November 08, 2013, 11:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dara

Gonna brew an oatmeal stout tomorrow. At least I think it's an oatmeal stout - got some flaked oats of the porridge variety and the are going in - planning on using 10% porridge in this. The thing is I've a deep grain bed. So do I just lash these in with all the other grains and go for 67degC mash kinda thing or do I try some fandagled protein rest? Don't want to be dealing with a stuck sparge. If you need to do a protein rest seperately could I rest the oats first on there own (i.e. make some poridge/cook them)?

Dara
drinking - Brown porters (plain/oak aged/vanilla)
conditioning - American Amber (Jamil's evil twin)
Fermenting - air

iBrau

You should be grand with a single 67C mash. That's what we did on my Oatmeal ale brewday and there was 16% Flahavans oats in it. Just stick em in with the rest of the grist and mix well. No trouble with the mash sticking even with sparge water that was down around 60C by the end! It's been in the bottle 3 weeks and I'm drinking it right now and it's savage. Like beer cake! Anyway if theres any unconverted protein in your beer you won't see it in your stout. Don't worry, be happy!

Dara

Nice one. This is going to be my Christmas beer around the 6.5% mark.
drinking - Brown porters (plain/oak aged/vanilla)
conditioning - American Amber (Jamil's evil twin)
Fermenting - air

DEMPSEY

Deep grain bed with 10% porridge seems like a recipe for a stuck mash ???. The viscous nature of porridge makes it hard for liquid to pass through so before you start do a bit of research on your recipe first. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

imark

I've used 10% jumbo oats without problems in my igloo cooler with false bottom. It should be ok.