• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 07, 2024, 04:31:33 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone got a spoonful of yeast nutrient I could borrow?

Started by admin, November 12, 2013, 02:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Eoin has offered me some already, but just canvassing to see if there is any closer to me.

Eoin

Quote from: Il Tubo on November 12, 2013, 02:53:07 PM
Eoin has offered me some already, but just canvassing to see if there is any closer to me.

You'd need 5 tsp 's full for 5 gallons.

Sent from my HTC One

Shane Phelan

Don't know if I am any closer than Eoin but I have some available if you want it. I'm assuming it is citric acid you are talking about?
Brew Log

Eoin

Quote from: shiny on November 12, 2013, 03:26:30 PM
Don't know if I am any closer than Eoin but I have some available if you want it. I'm assuming it is citric acid you are talking about?

Yeast nutrient. Not citric acid.

Sent from my HTC One

Shane Phelan

Pretty sure citric acid is a yeast nutrient. Mine is in granular form just in case you think I have litres of this stuff.
Brew Log

Eoin

Quote from: shiny on November 12, 2013, 03:38:20 PM
Pretty sure citric acid is a yeast nutrient. Mine is in granular form just in case you think I have litres of this stuff.

It seems to be an element of but isn't yeast nutrient in itself. It's in the homemade recipes but you would need more stuff as well

Sent from my HTC One

beerfly

if you have other yeast your willing to scarifice you could also boil it to kill it   :'(

Shane Phelan

Quote from: Eoin on November 12, 2013, 03:59:28 PM
Quote from: shiny on November 12, 2013, 03:38:20 PM

It seems to be an element of but isn't yeast nutrient in itself. It's in the homemade recipes but you would need more stuff as well

Yeah I found the same, I couldn't find a definitive answer that it was a nutrient by itself, more that it is recommended as part of a blend with other stuff also. I have added it to my cider in its current form, I had only used it for mead/wine up until now.
Brew Log

RichC

I've got loads but it's a few years out of date. Does the use by matter on nutrient???
I'm in work in the morning so quite close to you Shane

Eoin

Quote from: Il Tubo on November 12, 2013, 05:30:21 PM
Quote from: Dunkel on November 12, 2013, 04:59:07 PM
Can you use Marmite?

That's supposed to be full of salt...

There are homemade nutrient recipes online that use marmite. Salt is also in a few of them.

Sent from my HTC One

Will_D

Citric Acid can not be considered a yeast nutrient - it is a simple Carbon/Hydrogen/Oxygen molecule.

It is added to country wines to add acidity to help balance the alcohol and residual sweetness of said wines

The first requirement of a yeast nutrient is Nitrogen. That is why the simple inorganic nutrients like Youngs contain Diamonium Phoshpahate and Amonium Phosphate. The "amonium" tag implies the prescence of Nitrogen and the Phosphate is a useful element.

Calcium is vital to yeast growth but is plenty present in our water.

Some of the more advanced nutrients contain Thiamine ( One of the Vit B's viz. B1 ) and is essential for most living organisms.

Dead yeast naturally contains all the nutrients that yeast needs to grow - hence the use of old yeast (or even sacrificial new yeast)

Marmite is made from yeast and the amount you need in a starter is tiny - the bit of salt present will not cause a problem.

For really tricky "grow the yeast from an old botlle" type of culture I always use Marmite.

BTW: Its also great on bread!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing