• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:10:14 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Tog Brewday Dec

Started by Rossa, November 13, 2013, 02:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigel_c

Quote from: brenmurph on December 11, 2013, 03:38:27 PM
oxy action at 50c

fill all the way and put in half the tub ( cost 1.25) keep warm. i refund u if it doesnt dissolve everything  ;D

I love the stuff. Just finished up brewing and before packing up I half filled the kettle with a few spoon full of powder and boiled for about 10 mins. Elements came out sparkling. they were all gunked up by the end of the brew and look brand new now.

Ciderhead

Oxy won't clear whats in that, I saw it :(

beerfly

I threw it up on the calander

Ian83

Are freshers welcome to the brewdate in TOG? If so, where is it?

beerfly

everyone is welcome, its just down the road from christchurch http://www.tog.ie/location/

brenmurph

Quote from: CH on December 11, 2013, 04:28:45 PM

at the right temp and the right amount ive never seen oxy (w5, not the others) not dissolving anything :)
Its simple and cheap and Ive offered him the 1.25 if it dosnt work :D so im puttin my money where my mouth is ;)

Padraic

Quote from: brenmurph on December 11, 2013, 06:38:27 PM
Quote from: CH on December 11, 2013, 04:28:45 PM

at the right temp and the right amount ive never seen oxy (w5, not the others) not dissolving anything :)
Its simple and cheap and Ive offered him the 1.25 if it dosnt work :D so im puttin my money where my mouth is ;)

Are you a gambling man? There is more than one keg, will they all work? The 1.25 could add up!

brenmurph

In case yis didnt know, w5 oxy has enzymes (proteases, lipases and amylases) that will eat / split whatever it touches combined  the oxygen bleach (sodium percarbonate / h2O2) effectively dissolves whatever it touches.
the enzymes need heat about 40-60c to work effectively.
It dissolves the ring of scum on your fermenter with just 1 scoop in a gallon or so.

@ padraic.. I was referrin to one.. If one trial diosnt do it why continue. If it does work you can then verify the power of this stuff and keepin in mind its 100% biodegradable and cheap it a winner for us for the past 2 or more years for cleaning.

So try it is my recomendation before you go experimenting with dangerour / toxic chemicals ???

Brew_Diva

Am glad of the later start as am working til 4pm so will head over afterwards and hopefully catch the end of it!!!

Ciderhead

Quote from: brenmurph on December 11, 2013, 07:47:13 PM
So try it is my recomendation before you go experimenting with dangerour / toxic chemicals ???

Killjoy :P

brenmurph

BTW how many dirty cornies have ya got?

Will_D

Quote from: brenmurph on December 11, 2013, 09:26:05 PM
And more to the point why?

Seriously though:

Some of the acid drain cleaners available is REALLY nasty stuff.

The caustic ones are nearly as bad!

Concentrated sulphuric acid and water is a recipe for a 6 months stay in plastic surgery ward.

If you are going this route pm me or someone else!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Padraic

I was only joking Bren about the other ones...

Quote from: brenmurph on December 11, 2013, 09:26:05 PM

my cheeky answer is a few...we'll see on Saturday!

So I need half a tub of oxi each? How long does it need to soak? Will you hold my hand on this one Bren?

Ciderhead

These have more than just organic waste in them :(,
As a starting point soak 48 hours in just water, then oxi then my nuclear option.

brenmurph

if its completly manky u need to fill the corny with water circa 50c.  and use about  half a tub for a good strong solution that will have some staying power (enzymes) keep it in a warm place overnight and check next morning. If its not completly dissolved just check will a pot scrubber easily remove  whats left. the oxy w5 is very good at softening really tough stuff.  nothing to lose and as will says someindustrial chemicals may work but may eat ur skin, your worktop, the rubber parts of your cornies and your seals :D :D

The heat is the key with the w5 oxy. I believe the enzymes do most of the hard work :) and need the temp
rem,ember the oxy action is designed for your washing machine at 40c or 60 c so I settle for 50c!