• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:39:00 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

12 steps to a prosperous brewery

Started by brenmurph, January 22, 2014, 01:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

us bjcp trainee judges cant find half dem flaws either ::) and we r definatly looking for them.

mr hoppy

Funny thing about flaws is, if you ask me the defining flavours of most lagers are so-called "flaws":
German - DMS
Czech - Diacetyl
Heineken - Isoamyl acetate
Budweiser - Acetlyaldehyde.

Tom

Roast Barley flavour is a flaw in a Dunkel (4B), but not a stout (13A-E). :)

Diacetyl and acetaldehyde, esters and phenolics are just fermentation characteristics, which can be a stylistic flaw in some beers, rather than a blanket flaw (such as Butyric or whatever the poo one was called).

mr hoppy

What I was getting at is that the BJCP flaws etc. are there to allow judges to judge beers in competitions - they don't define good and bad beer.

If someone likes a touch of diacetyl in their pils, or roast barley in their dunkel that's their look out as long as they don't enter it in a BJCP comp.  :D

Tom

They could probably slip a diacetyl beer past me no problem.

brenmurph

Quote from: mr happy on January 23, 2014, 01:30:21 PM
What I was getting at is that the BJCP flaws etc. are there to allow judges to judge beers in competitions - they don't define good and bad beer.

If someone likes a touch of diacetyl in their pils, or roast barley in their dunkel that's their look out as long as they don't enter it in a BJCP comp.  :D

agree fully