• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 01:38:07 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Water - What is it?

Started by Will_D, February 11, 2013, 02:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biertourist

I appreciate the vote of confidence, Will but I'm not going to be able to help out on this subject as I just don't know the answer to your question.  I've never come across this 47ppm number before nor the general idea that there's always a certain amount of permanent hardness left behind.  Let me see if I can drum up a true expert to weigh in...

Adam

biertourist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water#Sources_of_hardness

The Wikipedia article seems to imply that temporary hardness (reducable by boiling or addition of lime) is chemically either calcium bicarbonate or magnesium bicarbonate while permanent hardness involves sulfate or chloride compounds. (Calcium sulfate or magnesium sulfate.)

Adam

Will_D

March 05, 2013, 12:12:23 PM #17 Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:12:44 PM by Will_D
Guys am just trying to get hold of a sulphate test kit and maybe a disolved chlorine as well.

Will let you know soon whats up.

I would also like to get a litre or so of really, really hard water for my investigations. No rush.

Who rekons they have the hardest water?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

DEMPSEY

Somebody from Athboy,co Meath. Have family down there and the amount of gunk left in kettles is ugh.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Hop Bomb

Roscrea Co.Tipp has crazy hard water. Our shower heads dont even work properly. Kettles are a mess too. I can grab a litre when Im home next weekend.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.