• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:25:51 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Recommended Reading

Started by Beerdoh, March 13, 2013, 04:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugsyboy

Nice article on brewing American IPA's. Simple and practical tips.
https://beerandbrewing.com/VtXo8ykAAMgVjygC/article/how-to-brew-your-best-ipa-ever?cbbeid=thebuggys@gmail.com&utm_source=Craft+Beer+%26+Brewing+Newsletter&utm_campaign=eb9aa7af70-150303_EDIT_BR_ASTORIA&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_502555b94c-eb9aa7af70-247880241&goal=0_502555b94c-eb9aa7af70-247880241&mc_cid=eb9aa7af70&mc_eid=3a25ef66c9

djanto

"For the Love of hops

The Practical Guide to Aroma, Bitterness and the Culture of Hops

Stan Hieronymus

"

Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world. Jack Nicholson

davebhoy1975

All 4 of the brewers publications series Malt Hops Yeast & Water are all good reads, I thought the most tedious would have been the one on Yeast but I was wrong. Gordon Strong's Brewing better beer is good for both tips on technique and a few recipes.

I found the best value price wise was http://www.bookdepository.com but maybe some of you guys have better places
(I'd be interested to know if you do).

I think John Palmers first book which is available online is or should be on the mandatory reading list for all home brewers.http://www.howtobrew.com

My favourite type of beer is ale so does anyone have any suggested reading to help me improve my knowledge on brewing ales.
I have 4 different variations on Matilda bays 'Fat Yak' in several stages at the moment. One in the fermenter, one kegged and 2 bottled. I can't wait to start sampling them.

Qs

I'd recommend buying How To Brew rather than using that site. Its essential reading IMO but that site is the first edition which has a lot of myths that have been debunked since it was first published. Newer version are much better. Last I heard he was finishing up work on another new edition so that might be worth looking up for anyone who is thinking of getting it.

The Bull

Just picked up 'Craft Brew' by Euan Ferguson

Some 50 international craft breweries have volunteered a recipe.

Would take a while to get through em all!

beanstalk

^
I've ordered the ingredients of HBC for the Beavertown Smog Rocket recipe in this. It's a good book, and theres some Irish recipes in there too.

mac2k

Quote from: The Bull on January 17, 2017, 01:10:56 PM
Just picked up 'Craft Brew' by Euan Ferguson

Some 50 international craft breweries have volunteered a recipe.

Would take a while to get through em all!

Agreed, The 4th edition is out now and there was an excellent podcast on 15/05/17 with Beersmith where John Talks about the changes to the book based on recent research. There is a lot of updated data and this should probable be a goto book for a person new to Home brew.

biertourist

"Dark Lagers: History, Mystery, Brewing Techniques, Recipes"
-By Thomas Kraus-Weyermann (CEO of Weyermann malting), and Horst Dornbusch (I know, but Weyermann seems to have reigned-in Horst on this one.).

This one is published by MBAA and not Brewer's Publications, but don't let that scare you, it's very approachable for homebrewers.
https://my.mbaa.com/ItemDetail?iProductCode=72680

I'm still in the middle of it but it fills such a HUGE gap in English-language brewing literature, IMHO, Daniel "Designing Great Beers" didn't provide basically any coverage on dark lager recipes and there's some TRULY TERRIBLE American homebrewing recipes on making these styles. (I DARE you to make the Munich Dunkel recipe in Gordon Strong's book and brew it with RO water and without adding the dark malts to the sparge... -You won't like it...)

The book starts out with a history of German brewing and the appearance of lager and moves onto lager yeast genetics and speculation in Chapter 2 and gets to recipes later in the book.

The recipes are all using 100% Weyermann malts (should be no surprise there) and include some historical recipes for beers like Munich Dunkel, which look pretty exciting.
-If you can't get Weyermann malts you need to be VERY careful with substitutions and learn how to read a malt spec sheet because Munich malts are ALL OVER THE PLACE in terms of color and diastatic power and things can go wrong really quickly when substituting Munich malts between maltsters. (Best and Weyermann are statistically equivalents, but that's about it....)

I'm excited to experiment with dialing in my Munich Dunkel the way I want it because it's just not a style that you can even buy good examples of here in the US. (One exception: The Chuckanut brewery 2 hours north of Seattle in Washington State.)

Adam