• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 10:53:24 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Homebrew Company's All-Grain Kits

Started by Will_D, March 17, 2013, 12:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

March 17, 2013, 12:51:13 PM Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:54:49 PM by Will_D
This is mainly aimed at those who want to move up to AG.

The Homebrew Company package "all-grain kits" for a range of beers!

They contain all the malts preweighed, the hops in separate packets with addition times, the correct yeast and a wirflock tablet.

They are reasonably priced and it means that for the first couple of beers you don't have to spend a fortune on lots of grains and hops ( obviously depending on the style and recipe )

Are they any good?

Well I entered the "Dry Irish Stout" in the competition and it scored 34, not bad I though! Then I read the comments sheets:

Liam Hanlon, no less, had written:

"This would have been up for best of show with a little less Diacetyl. Check your fermentation temps"

And that was down to me.

Do try these to ease your way into AG

[edit] Here's the link to the kits:

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/all-grain-mash-kits-c-194.html
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Stitch

Just out of interest Will what temperature did you ferment at?? I usually ferment at about 19DegC but not always controlled.

Will_D

I think it was about 21C - think 19C would have been better

Greg2013

March 17, 2013, 10:05:29 PM #3 Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:07:29 PM by deadman1972
Do any of these home brew shops do starter equipment kits for all grain, that dont cost your left nut that is ;)

I have seen such kits on a couple of big UK sites but shipping is a killer, equipment for ag here is shocking expensive.

Before someone suggests making my own, some people just do not want to do that and would prefer to buy off tha peg so to speak ;)
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Hey i am sticking with kits for now but no harm in trying to gather a few bits eh? 150 euro Tube, sounds a bit on the low side? If you go down the cooler route for a mash tun sure thats nearly 100 euro gone there :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Boycott

I found their extract kits quite good anyway, very easy way to get into extract brewing from kits, takes all the calculating and excess stock out of the pic.

Stout didnt work out well for me either though again a similar problem of loads of Diacetyl. I wonder was this "our fault" then Will or something about the kits?

Gav

Take a look at www.mybeerandwine.ie They do kits for all grain beginners that look pretty good, it's pricy to start with but the gear will last for years and years. I'm only getting into Homebrewing, just 3 kits under my belt but I'd like to go full grain sooner rather than later but I need to get some advice on what kit to get! Or build!

Ciderhead

QuoteDo any of these home brew shops do starter equipment kits for all grain, that dont cost your left nut that is ;)

I have seen such kits on a couple of big UK sites but shipping is a killer, equipment for ag here is shocking expensive.

Before someone suggests making my own, some people just do not want to do that and would prefer to buy off tha peg so to speak ;)

If you are buying off the peg you will need to drop your trousers, if you build your own as per the advice given on here about boilers, mashtuns and chillers expect to save in excess of 50%

Greg2013

Trust you not to pull any punches ciderhead ;D I was looking into what it would cost if i was to start ag and a decent colemans cooler is at least 80-100 euro before taps or bazookas or anything. Thats what i was referring to above.

Anyway i am sticking with kits for now, at those prices ag will have to wait long time, even building myself :'(

Greg2013

Gav m8 as ciderhead said bend over and say your prayers :o That particular site in general is the most expensive one out of all them in this country. If i were you i would shop around m8 ;)

newToBrew

To go back about the mash kits - I made my first2 ag batches with demand they were Lovley - bit pricey compared to groupbuying but perfect when starting out
coz theres always something new to do

Greg2013

I am assuming you did not get these all in the one place Tube? That being said where did you get a mash tun for 30 euro? Must be a small one? Would certainly work out cheaper using fermenting buckets allright ;D

Will_D

The most complicated and essential new bit of AG kit is the mash tun:

You can buy new for 80 to 100, You can convert a cooler box depending on size from about €20 from Lidl and about €15 on bits of pipe and a tap, or keep an eye on our for sale forum

Boilers: You may already have one from extract days!. A big pot or even two on the old kitchen cookert will do it, for a bit more €30 or €40 gets you a plastic boiler and you fit a kettle element. €60 or 70 gets you a new one from a HB company!

32L fermenters and secondarys you already have

Cooling coil about €20 of 10 mm copper from a plumbers merchant.

All this kit comes up for sale second hand - watch the threads!!

Greg2013

Ok but starting out what size cooler would you reccommend?

delzep

QuoteTake a look at www.mybeerandwine.ie They do kits for all grain beginners that look pretty good, it's pricy to start with but the gear will last for years and years. I'm only getting into Homebrewing, just 3 kits under my belt but I'd like to go full grain sooner rather than later but I need to get some advice on what kit to get! Or build!
mybeerandwine is well worth checking out. His stock is a bit leftfield, but his prices are usually very good.

Deadman, here's what my AG set-up cost:
HLT Youngs 33L fermenter with tap €20
Element €7

Mashtun €30
Copper pipe for manifold €5
Ball valve tap €5

Kettle Youngs 33L fermenter with tap €20
Element x2 €14
Hop strainer hammered and drilled copper pipe from manifold
Chiller 10mm pipe from B&Q €30

Total = €131
Odds and ends like jubilee clips, another tenner

any chance you could post photos of your equipment?