• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2024, 10:32:42 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

GCB August Competition

Started by Ciderhead, February 27, 2014, 02:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

if we could dig up some 200 year old kilkenny archive and get a feel for what a real Irish red was may be of help.

On the sunday ( all day) when we officially met with Gordon strong  to discuss improvements / updates on the style guids we spend i'd say an hour on Irish red ale for a few reasons not limited to

traditional reds seem to be different to todays red  e.g was it decocted, caramelised? did they use a darker version of pale malt rather than a mix of modern pale and crystal, was there kettle caramelisation and so on

American, english and Irish reds of today are radically diffferent beers, english markey ( cafferys, beamish, murphys ) are sweet english bitter sort of beers, the yanks may be citrussing them up?  and as gordon strong says maybe just red in colour and not much else.

So lets define what a traditional ( if there is an definition) Irish red is exactly and maybe set that as the theme or maybe just go with Bjcp which Gordon strong Knows clearly needs updating

Ciderhead

Its funny as we don't want to restrict entries based on tight BJCP or GCB guidelines.
I would take the approach to see what folks enter and write a guideline based on groupings what we thought was an appropriate beer for Irish Red, which is another reason why we want winners to share method and formulation so that in round terms we can see what direction we should be point BJCP in, also in Wicklow we have no formal BJCP experience and would be depending on the more Senior judges for their guidance and input.

AJ to answer your question, we are really trying to get away from bigger hopped beer here and leave that sort of stuff to our US chums, we have some of the best barley in the world and its time to let it shine and come through in the flavour of your beer.
An entry would't be disqualified just marked down as it failed one of the criteria. "Hops should be the minor contributor"
If you did something clever and used Bog Myrtle or alternative for bittering that may be a different story.

brenmurph

"we have some of the best barley in the world and its time to let it shine"

Here here...like the scotch ales....focus on the magical flavours that barley malt can produce when we cut back on the hops and just use them for the balance rather than them being the main event

Shanna

Hi CH,

Will be a maximum number of entries per entrant in the GCB competition?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Ciderhead

Quote from: Shanna on March 13, 2014, 10:55:12 PM
Hi CH,

Shanna

Very good question, and you are right to raise it, the prizes are good and we don't want a flood from individuals so 2 is the answer to your question.

Personally I will be trying several styles over the summer and will decide on the best 2.

I am hoping we get close to 40 brewers enter, I know 10 in wicklow will be having a good go at it :)

Joint brews from collectives of max 3 brewers would also be allowed, but 10 fellas brewing in a barrel would not :(

Objective is always not to take away from the Nationals, but if we get massive interest, we could probably stretch a bit the 60 max entry number.

Shanna

Quote from: CH on March 13, 2014, 11:00:56 PM
Quote from: Shanna on March 13, 2014, 10:55:12 PM
Hi CH,

Shanna

Very good question, and you are right to raise it, the prizes are good and we don't want a flood from individuals so 2 is the answer to your question.

Personally I will be trying several styles over the summer and will decide on the best 2.

I am hoping we get close to 40 brewers enter, I know 10 in wicklow will be having a good go at it :)

Joint brews from collectives of max 3 brewers would also be allowed, but 10 fellas brewing in a barrel would not :(

I have an Irish Red already brewed that I like in terms of taste, aroma etc but not happy with the colour (roasted barley qty snafu). I want to brew the recipe again with the error corrected and if its as good then hope to be able to enter both.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

CARA

Great idea CH. Sticking on the first attempt today. I  brew most Sundays so Red's will be the recipe of choice for the next month or so. It'll give me another chance to ply around with this CaraRed  >:D
Upa Sesh

pob

June 19, 2014, 11:28:24 AM #24 Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:17:27 PM by pob
Reminder folks,

The Garden County Brewers - Irish Red Ale Competition is being held on the 23rd August.

We need your beers brewed and ready by 1st August. (Edited to correct date)

This means that you need to be planning to brew your beers in the next few weeks.

Entries will open on 1st July.

Remember, great prizes for those great beers http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6177.msg78514.html#msg78514

[cheesy Marty Whelan voice] If you're not in, you can't win.

Will_D

REMINDER:

The entry process for both the GCB and the NCB comps will open on the 1st of July
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

johnrm

Should Payment be made to NHC Bank or NHC Paypal?

Will_D

Quote from: johnrm on July 15, 2014, 10:32:34 AM
Should Payment be made to NHC Bank or NHC Paypal?
Hi John, either but if using paypal please pay the fees
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing