• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 11:19:20 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Not my best Brewday

Started by Will_D, May 13, 2014, 12:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

So decided to brew my NCB comp beer yesterday.

Cat 6D: American Wheat/Rye Beer

Basic recipe:
3kg MO
1kg Rye
1kg Wheat
1 kg Munich

All mashed at about 66C

First Problem was a stuck mash. Never had a problem with Roggens before but next time add rice hulls

Second problem: Wanted a super clear end product so added Irish Moss (I hardly ever use this). Trouble was I added too much I assume, as when I came to drain the boiler - stuck drainage from kettle. There was a hugh gelatinous haze. Managed to eventually get it into fermenter. It is clear though!

Not sure yet if I have hit problem number 3!
Was going to use US-05 but just got a packet (bbe 01/2015) of Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Ale yeast. Rehydrated as per pkt, lovely creamy yeast. Into fermenter at 4pm yesterday and so far at noon today not a sign of life!

Anyone used this yeast yet.

@CH: Believe you have some?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Partridge9

Well I have had that long before activity ..

Sure you never know - it could turn out great !

Apologies for not dropping up the Whirlfloc powder, I'll bring it tonight.

Will_D

He is into the oxygen treatment. I thought that as mine was incredibly aireated (like 40 mins trickling though a sieve into the fermenter) (In the pouring rain out side as well) I would save the O2 for the big boys brew.

Quote from their website:

Brewing Properties:

• Quick start and vigorous fermentation, which can be completed in 4 days above 17 °C.
• Medium to high attenuation,

It should say "May start in 4 days"

At least you have "rested my mind"

Thanks

Qs

Haven't used Bry-97 yet but I've got some in the fridge so I read a lot about it and almost everyone reports long lag times, usually 2 days or more.

ColmOM

I used that yeast recently in a Red IPA. Can't remember exactly when it starting to get going but it was definitely over 24hrs. Completed fermentation in 7 days, cleaned up nicely left very little crud after it so I'd certainly recommend it!  ;D

Will_D

+1 on 24 hours.

24 hours later, definitely started. Now 40 hours later its well going full speed.

Smells good

Many thanks for the help

baphomite51

I just seen that yeast the other day looks interesting, hmmmm your gettin me thinkin about a split batch with this and US-05, could be an interesting comparison, anyone hear of any comparisons between them??